cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wabasco or espar diesel heaters

Tlhfirelion
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, new guy here. I’m in the early stages of planning my truck and tc purchase. I pivoted slightly from planning a van conversion build to the TC as we plan to explore more remote locations and a truck is more utilitarian when not camping. During my van conversion research I discovered the diesel heaters mentioned in the title. I really like that option. Running off diesel in the/an existing tank, a reduction in moisture issues when heating with gas as well as their efficiency, it’s ticking all my boxes.

Since I will have a diesel drw truck, I wonder if there is any way to remove/eliminate the gas furnace and replace it with a diesel heater? Even if it was not tied into the vehicle tank due to logistics and truck-camper separation, I have a large supply of heat fuel at my disposable. I do not plan to have a gas stove but rather induction so I don’t see a need there for gas.

I did do a quick search with mixed results and I will of course continue to read, but wanted to see if anyone had done anything like what I’m looking at. There may be a really simple reason why I wouldn’t want to do so and since I’m newer than most to Truck campers, here I am. Thanks in advance for your assistance and have a good day.
16 REPLIES 16

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't read of someone doing it for TC. You might try a broad search across all RV types.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bristles
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in trucking for 33 years and have installed both units in OTR trucks. Both are very nice systems. Very fuel efficient with low battery draw. It's like 1 gallon of fuel per 8 hours run time depending on temp settings, and no more battery drain than leaving parking lights on. I like the espar unit better because of the digital temp control. The wabasto unit has a round dial with no numbers. You just have to guess where you want to set the temp and readjust if it's to hot or cold. Both have had zero failures in the 5 years since they were installed. I think it would be an easy conversion. Good Luck