cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water filter canister broke apart on its own

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily we were in the trailer when it happened. Boom. The canister completely fractured at the top and fell to the floor. Shut off the water, cleaned up the mess and ran a fan the rest of the day to dry everything up. Called Tom Raper in Richmond, IN and they had one canister in stock so we ran down to get it. All in all we were very lucky. I know many people turn off the water every time they leave, and we are now joining that group. It was a clean break just beyond the threads. Pretty bizarre.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000
15 REPLIES 15

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The brand was Water Pur.
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the exact same thing happen with mine. Unit was less than a year old and had been driven less than 1000 miles. Was parked on a site and being lived in at the time. Yes there was a watts pressure regulator in place. Simply snapped clean just above the threads. I replaced it with a filter from Lowes and have since driven the TT many many miles without another issue.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one I use.. It has a working pressure of 300 psi and is 100% stainless steel. There's no breaking this one.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
lbrjet wrote:
Mine was an interior OEM cartridge filter canister.
Could you share the brand name, please? I need to filter my RV water and am looking for filters, it would be good to know what to avoid.

I bought all my potable water plumbing and filter setup HERE. Good quality products, though they can be pricey.

I suspect you could go to one of the major home improvement stores and purchase what you need (filter/canister/fittings) etc. and make your own and maybe save some $$.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I use this one instead of the RV junk filter. Not only cheaper but higher quality. I learned from experience. The filter housing broke in my stick house and the water ran all day. Several thousand dollars of damage. Fortunately we had good insurance.

Filter housing

what do the more sophisticated filter elements sell for for that unit? I see it is just a sediment filter.
bumpy

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one instead of the RV junk filter. Not only cheaper but higher quality. I learned from experience. The filter housing broke in my stick house and the water ran all day. Several thousand dollars of damage. Fortunately we had good insurance.

Filter housing

westend
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
Could you share the brand name, please? I need to filter my RV water and am looking for filters, it would be good to know what to avoid.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that's one reason I use a separate shut off valve on the incoming water that just takes a 90 degree push of a lever to cut the water flow quickly and easily.
bumpy

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
Yes, I have a Watts regulator. I am at my seasonal site and have spent more than 500 nights here. After 4 years and 11,000 miles it just had enough I guess. One of those things that just happens and you can't explain it.

Thanks for clarifying. I find that many times on these fora pertinent facts are omitted from the initial post and it is usually only after the OP returns to clarify that the root cause can be determined. Thanks for following up.

It certainly looks like the canister failed possibly due to age. I don't know how easiy it is to replace the whole unit but on my Flagstaff it is easily accessible, and were I you I'd probably change it out for one that has maybe a different material for the canister.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thread, titled "Exploding water filter" where somebody had the same experience as you. You will see that there are different causes.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have a Watts regulator. I am at my seasonal site and have spent more than 500 nights here. After 4 years and 11,000 miles it just had enough I guess. One of those things that just happens and you can't explain it.
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
...I know many people turn off the water every time they leave, and we are now joining that group. It was a clean break just beyond the threads. Pretty bizarre.

Do you have a good pressure regulator at the spigot? I have a Watts 283A and am comfortable enough to leave the water on when I am away from the RV for a few hours.

As for the failure of the filter - there was a thread on the Flagstaff forum where the filter housing "came off" from the head - more like walking back on the threads, as opposed to the break you described. The fix was to either change out the filter that came with the RV or put some other means of preventing the housing from unscrewing itself.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
People always look puzzled when I tell them that I always shut of the pump switch and always shut off the campground water supply if we leave for a while.
RV=CHEESY