cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater not working

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the gas-only water heater on our 2005 Palamino Mustang. This past weekend was our first trip out with it. Not new to campers, we've had 2 TTs and this is our second Pup. I was able to get the pilot lit on the water heater, but the burner would not kick on. I think it's an Attwood, but not sure. It doesn't have the electronic ignition either. Any idea what would cause this? I'm guessing a temp sensing probe or something like that.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT
5 REPLIES 5

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
If it is an Atwood, then use the Atwood Mobile Service Training Manual to troubleshoot and determine what, if anything, needs replacing. This is the manual delivered to the service technicians in the field for all of their products and has troubleshooting sections for each device type. For water heaters, start on page 3 of the document, noting page 9 for reasons the main burner will not ignite.

Since I stumbled onto this document, I have been trying to share whenever appropriate. This is something rarely available to the public.

Nice! Thanks, I'll give that a shot once it's done drying out and out of the garage!

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an Atwood, then use the Atwood Mobile Service Training Manual to troubleshoot and determine what, if anything, needs replacing. This is the manual delivered to the service technicians in the field for all of their products and has troubleshooting sections for each device type. For water heaters, start on page 3 of the document, noting page 9 for reasons the main burner will not ignite.

Since I stumbled onto this document, I have been trying to share whenever appropriate. This is something rarely available to the public.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a bad thermocouple would turn off the pilot light. It stays on fine, but the burner never kicks on.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
A thermocouple should turn off the gas to the pilot light, if it senses no heat from the pilots flame. If you get the model number you should be able to search a manual for it. I know a couple of my older non electronic one's had a thermostat to set the water temp, never had a problem with them so I'm not sure how they worked.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
You need to either turn up the pilot, or get a new thermocouple.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work