cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

White lithium grease for the hitch?

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think about using white lithium spray grease for the hitch ball and the spring bars? I've got the spray handy and don't want to open a whole tube of grease for this small job. Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
You can grease everything BUT the friction plate on the anti-sway device. The sway is controlled by friction, much like a brake, so greasing it would defeat the purpose.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, its an Equalizer-II WD/sway control hitch. The bars do slide some as the steering angle changes but according to the wear marks only about 2". They do pop and creak as I turn.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Montana Mike wrote:
equalizer hitch bars

I don't think we are all on the same page here. When I read the above, I assumed Montana Mike was talking about his "equalizer" bars as in weight distribution. If he's talking about the friction bar you add to the side of the hitch and frame of trailer I say not necessary on lube. But if it is a combination "weight distribution/friction control bar" then certainly lube the pivot point.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
the pivot area next to the hitch is 3 feet away from the contact area so I don't think I would have a prob with grease migrating from one to the other

We are talking about a standard friction control right?
The kind that has a flat steel bar that slides into 2 friction material brake pad type things?

If so, then it shouldn't be 3 feet, and the distance changes growing and shrinking with every turn. In fact it can be close to zero in a tight turn. That is how the lubricant can make its way onto the pads.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
the pivot area next to the hitch is 3 feet away from the contact area so I don't think I would have a prob with grease migrating from one to the other
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
^^^ there is the clarification I was looking for. I was told not to lube the bar contact points but it makes sense to lube the ball/socket head area. Thanks.

I wouldn't do it. Those little 1" balls don't have enough pressure on them to gall. And any lubricant on them will eventually find its way onto the friction area.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ there is the clarification I was looking for. I was told not to lube the bar contact points but it makes sense to lube the ball/socket head area. Thanks.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Montana Mike wrote:
I thought I read not to grease your equalizer hitch bars as that will take the anti sway effect away if the bars slide easy?

Not the friction end where it connects to the trailer, but the pivot points where it connects to the hitch head.

So many different kinds of weight distributing hitches on the market, a person really needs to know all the features of the one they own.
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use bicycle grease.

I do my own bicycle maintenance and always have a tube with my tools. Bicycle grease attracts and holds water and dirt less than automotive greases, and is less abrasive when it does get entrapped grit.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Montana_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I read not to grease your equalizer hitch bars as that will take the anti sway effect away if the bars slide easy?
Time to get camping! 2013 28'Shadow Cruiser
One wife, 4 boys, 2 dogs and a cat.
Montana Mike

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
I also have a equalizer sway hitch. are you supposed to lube those bars also?

Yes, any where you have metal on metal contact, you are going to have wear. It doesn't take copious amounts, a little bit goes a long way.

You can always hear the folks who don't lube when they pull into the campground, lots of screeching, popping and the sound of metal complaining.

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
I used white lithium grease. I also carry a roll of shop towels in my toolbox. After I unhitch, I wipe the ball clean and put a ball cover on it. It keeps me clean, and it keeps the dirt and sand from sticking to the grease, which would then get catch in your hitch and gunk it up.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I use super lube which is a clear grease although I've gotten it on my pants twice this weekend I have invested in a hitch ball cover to resolve that issue I also have a equalizer sway hitch. are you supposed to lube those bars also?

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
I did a 3 hour tow today ussing the white lithium and it did just fine. There was no. Hitch noise all. Thanks.