cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater Question

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't posted for a while, which is probably a good thing since it means the RV has been working and I haven't needed all the good advice offered here!
On our final few days of camping, the red 'warning' light came on the hot water switch and the heater stopped working. Then I noticed some leaking water from the outside panel so I switched the plumbing to bypass for the rest of the trip. When I got home I discovered a pin prick hole in the plastic plug on the tank drain. I replaced the plug and reconnected the bypass to the heater and turned the heater on to see if it would work. It did, though instead of taking 20-25 min to fully heat, it took about double the time but eventually stopped. No leaks anywhere so turned it off. A week later when I went to drain the tank for winterizing, when I removed the plug, the water pressure was so great that I immediately was soaked from the chest down. In the dozen or so years of draining the heater tank I have never experienced that kind of pressure when removing the plug. Is it normal for this, being that the heater had been off for a week and the water was cold? It is an Atwood gas heater model g6a-8e. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies and reassurances.

Normally I would only start the water heater with the intention of using it which would of course release the pressure, but since I was testing it I must have left the tap closed this time. Won't forget next time (I hope).

Howie

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Completely normal on all counts
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
The good news is....You don't have any other leaks on the hot water side. Or the pressure would have dropped without opening a valve.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes I've had that shower as well in the past. Now I'm always sure to open a hot water tap to relieve pressure before touching the plug.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes that is normal if you do not open a hot water valve or trip the pressure release valve on the water heater first. I have received the shot in the belly once from forgetting the above. Notice I said once!:E
You should be good to go now.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine