cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water lines in the winter bad tatste

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years i have used Rv antifreeze but it as seems to have left a bad taste in the water lines and a lite smell. Is this normal??
So we carry bottle water to drink.
Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've used RV Antifreeze on all my travel trailers, every winter, for over 20 years now. Come spring I flush the lines until there is no more traces of foam. Never have an after taste.

However, a couple times I messed up and got antifreeze in the water heater tank. It took forever to get my hot water from foam.

If you are adding your RV Antifreeze via your fresh water tank, there is your problem. It is almost impossible to drain a fresh water tank 100% and rinse it out. If you are adding the Antifreeze there, chances are, that's the source of the taste.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
You need to really rinse out the water system if you use RV antifreeze in the whole system, which I do. Remember to flush out ALL the faucets and water lines! Including the outdoor shower (if you have one), and the shower nozzle in the bathtub. It takes multiple fills and drains of the water system to flush it out. We still usually use a Brita filter jug for drinking water and water bottles.

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
A couple flushes with baking soda in the water come spring seems to resolve the problem quickly.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Many of us do not use anti freeze in the water tank or lines. We just drain/bypass the WH, all tanks, and blow out the water lines with compressed air. Then use the pink stuff for the drain traps and toilet only.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad