cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water problems!

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I made a huge mistake 2 winters ago by not properly winterizing the water system in my 32' Jayco Jayflight TT. Since spring of 2015 when I turn on the pump, it pumps weakly with a lot of air in the line. Also, before this when I would turn the pump on it would build up pressure and then shut off until a faucet was opened or the toilet was flushed which would drop the pressure and cause the pump to turn on. Now, it does not ever seem to build that pressure and the pump never turns off.

I thought about it and thought...maybe there was water left in the pump that ruined the pump diaphram. So I purchased a new pump but it still does the same thing!

I have looked from the pump forward to the kitchen to see if there are any leaks from cracked lines but have found nothing and no leaking water anywhere. I do have a filter between the water tank and the pump and I thought about removing it to see if it was allowing air into the lines but have not done that yet.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff
10 REPLIES 10

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I had a check valve about 3" from the tank outlet and I checked it last night and it was cracked half way around it!!!!! Unfortunately I did not have an opportunity to remove it from the line yet, I plan on doing it tonight.

Thanks again!

Jeff

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure check valve at city inlet connection is closed. An inverted gasket screen will hold it open and allow air in while the pump is on.. Ask me how I know...

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys everyone. I do have a strainer between the tank and the pump, I am going to remove it tonight and check it for cracks.

I do not have a valve for winterizing it, I think I will add it this summer at some point.

Jeff

Heiny57
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Sounds like it is sucking air. If so the problem is between the tank and the pump. Maybe the winterization valve where you add antifreeze is open?

This

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You left water in pump strainer when you winterized...or lack of winterizing

Strainer is cracked and sucking air
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a T-valve with a short hose that you use with anti-freeze for winterizing the unit, turn the handle to that side, and put the hose into a bucket of water.

If your taps build up pressure, and the air goes out of the line, you will indeed know for sure that air is coming into the line from the fresh water tank to the pump.

How to find the problem might be difficult. I had to take the bottom off my camper to find my problem, it was the connection for the hose to the pump right at the tank. The plastic screw in fitting had cracked. I emptied, then tipped the rig so it was totally dry, unscrewed the fitting, and filled it in with epoxy. It never leaked again.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
If the pump is pumping water, but there is air also at the faucets, then the air has to be entering the system BEFORE the water pump. The line between the fresh water tank and the water pump is broken or cracked, causing the pump to suck in air. The pump will not shut off if it's sucking in air.

If the line is broken or cracked AFTER the pump, then you'll have evidence of a leak. You won't get air at the faucet, it will just be a slow stream. Air will not enter when water is being pushed out.

The air intake is occurring between the fresh water tank and the pump.

This

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it is sucking air. If so the problem is between the tank and the pump. Maybe the winterization valve where you add antifreeze is open?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the pump is pumping water, but there is air also at the faucets, then the air has to be entering the system BEFORE the water pump. The line between the fresh water tank and the water pump is broken or cracked, causing the pump to suck in air. The pump will not shut off if it's sucking in air.

If the line is broken or cracked AFTER the pump, then you'll have evidence of a leak. You won't get air at the faucet, it will just be a slow stream. Air will not enter when water is being pushed out.

The air intake is occurring between the fresh water tank and the pump.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately it sounds like you do have a leak somewhere - even a small one can cause the pump to cycle continuously.

Could be anywhere in the entire water system..even a small crack in one of the fittings or, or course, a cracked pipe. Not uncommon after a winter and freeze when, as you say, "not winterized properly."

Good luck with it. (I know I wasn't much help.)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro