cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump problem

mkslup
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie to RVing so bear with me please. I purchased a new Starcraft Autumn Ridge travel trailer. My issue is after being set up for 3 days I woke up this morning to hear my water pump running and would not shut off. I turned it off and turned on all the faucets to see if I had air in the lines and turned the pump back on. It still runs without shutting off. I see no leaks anywhere...does anyone have suggestions? I turned off the pump as not to burn it out. Thank you in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basic water system........

Fresh water tank has have water in it.
Pump needs to be primed by turning it ON and opening faucet (Hot/Cold side) to purge air from system
Hot side will take longer due to having to initially fill water heater tank.

Pumps are designed to 'run dry' without damage

City water hook up and pump feed same system.

When using city water connection you should have a water pressure regulator on water supply to control pressure (50#).
Some water supplies can have very high water pressure.

Having pump ON and being connected to city water source will NOT hurt anything.
Pump will only run IF city water inlet pressure is lower than pump 'start' pressure (typically 30#) Pump will shut-off when pressure is above set point (typically 45#) NOTE: Some upgraded pumps have higher start/stop set points.

Enjoy your 'new' RV........it's all a learning curve we have ALL gone thru.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
What the others already said. We were all new at one time so just keep asking the questions.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
MKSLUP

When you have the hose hooked up to city water, you shouldn't turn your pump on. BTW - If you haven't already done so, pick up a water pressure regulator and hook it up to the faucet before hooking up your hose. This will prevent excess pressure from damaging your water system. You might also want to consider a water filter to hook up to the hose so you filter the water before it gets into your rig.

While on the road, I always put at least 1/4 tank of fresh water in the holding tank. If we need to use the restroom or wash our hands, we have water available. Since you're not hooked up to a water source, you have to turn your pump on to get the water to flow through the system.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Your pump was running because you had no water in your freash water tank. It was sucking air.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
If hooked to city water your pump is plumed only to the fresh water tank so it is just sucking air.

mkslup
Explorer
Explorer
ok...thank you...I will wait to see what happens when I fill the tank. Said I was new :). A bit ignorant here.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If you are hooked up to city water, there is no need for the pump to be turned on .
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

mkslup
Explorer
Explorer
I am hooked up to city water and do get water out of the faucets. I see no water anywhere under the trailer or in the pass through.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out of water in the tank or a massive leak are your only two options.