cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump woes

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2006 Dutchman. Water pump worked normally for the first couple trips. It did seem to run for a second about every 4 minutes on its own which is way more often than any other trailer I've had. Recently it just started rattling the******out of the pipes when it runs. The pipes that are rattling aren't even near the pump. It did this intermittently a few times and now is all the time. Is the pump bad? If so what is a good replacement?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

campthewestcoas
Explorer
Explorer
toytacoma8 wrote:
Also I just looked and saw something connected to the pump with a white circle thing on it. I looked at pictures online and saw it looks like a strainer? Could this be at fault, I am not familiar with them

Check the suction line to the pump,if it has a crack or spilt (mine was cracked at the hose clamp)it will suck air and cause your problem.
plus the strainer bowl on the suction side of the pump could be clogged,mine was clogged with clear plastic shavings from the factory drilling tap-in holes into my fresh water tank. strainer looked clear until I took it apart and found the problem.

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Also I just looked and saw something connected to the pump with a white circle thing on it. I looked at pictures online and saw it looks like a strainer? Could this be at fault, I am not familiar with them

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked for leaks with no luck but I will have to look closer when we get home. We have been on the road for a week and I would have thought that I would have found a wet spot by now. I'll try running everything as well and see what happens. Any recomendations for new pumps?

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
A leak or a bad check valve in the pump allowing pressure to leak back through the pump. I had a pump that would do it intermittently, as if the check valve would seat sometimes and then get stuck leaking back. I changed the pump to a better model but it seemed to have "fixed itself" by the time I put the new pump in.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

Davidlatham2012
Explorer
Explorer
You need to go through the Dutchman and run every water source you have. Run the toilet, shower, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, utility shower. This is most likely just some air in the lines. Now if your pump is cutting on every few minutes and all your water sources are off.....you have leak. Could be very small. Start at the pump and work from there.