Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD and Air Bags on Rear - Why a No-No?

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Team,

In searches and reading the forums, there seems to be a chorus of folks who say Air Bags and WD systems do not mix.

Why can't you:
1) Deflate air bags first,
2) Then hook up and set the WD (hook up trailer, tension bars, proper leveling front to rear, etc.),
3) Lastly just add enuff air to help cushion the ride (not lift the rear).

What am I missing? This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to use air bags and WD together.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Oh, if it matters I tow with an F250 2WD, Diesel, Crew Cab.
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
21 REPLIES 21

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
I just added air bags to my truck. I haven't had the chance to go on a trip yet, but my main reason for getting them is my new F250 sags more than my old Chevy. I have made all of the correct adjustments to the hitch - and verified with weighing at the scales. I just want to be level and I think it will help with the bounce I was getting without the bags. I would guess that there are more people that want/have the bags than those that say not to have the bags.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer tows so much better with the combination of the bags and wd hitch than the wd hitch alone. I won't go back. Not sure why you wouldn't use them together:h Just my two cents

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with the way you list. The problem lies in where people use bags instead of a wd hitch or don't have the hitch set up properly because the bags are masking the amount of weight lost or transferred.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I like going down the road level. I hook up, doesn't matter how little or much air bags have in them. Then after hooking up I add air bags in order to level. And not so much predetermined PSI but level. Sometimes only 15 pounds other times 40 or 70 depends on how much stuff I'm getting hauled around. Having 3/4 of cord of wood in back end or just a BBQ makes big difference. I don't know why someone would not use air bags if they have them. People that are squatted down and have their headlights pointing at the sky makes me wonder. I don't know what I'm missing.

"there seems to be a chorus of folks who say Air Bags and WD systems do not mix". They mix with me and the "chorus" is out of tune IMO.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
On another thread of mine (one on the Blue Ox Sway Pro) an rv.net patron said:

"Ordinary air bags on truck not at all a good idea with a WDH. And partly source of problem as to ride"

so I figured I needed to ask...thought starting a thread rather than embed discussion in the other one made sense.
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
It's what we used to do with our TT and it sat level with the 10-15 #s of air in the bags.
Road nice down the road no issue with it.

I don't see why you can't.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's what I'd do although I'd probably deflate to 10 psi and hook up.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...