cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD w/ 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

jvoelzow
Explorer
Explorer
First of all let me say that I'v spent hours reading all the threads dealing w/ weight distribution, and I still have a question as most of the info pertains to older vehicles than I have. Not sure if truck specs have changed.

Just went from a 2010 Titan 1/2 ton to a 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax to pull our Jayco 29RLDS (7400# dry with gear, about 1000# TW). Airbags on the Titan helped with leveling, but I was on the bleeding edge all the way around weight-wise. I certainly don't have that problem now.

But, try as I might, with the new truck I can't get WD to the FF axle.

FF axle is 4700# empty (wet), 4750# w/ 750# camping gear and spouse, and 4750# w/ the WD (EAZ Lift with 1400# bars) hooked up.

RR axle wt. goes from 3300# empty to 4000# w/ gear to 5050# w/ WD attached. (RR is essentially taking all the tongue wt.)

TT remains 7400# after WD hooked up.

FF fender well height doesn't change from 40" under any of those scenarios, RR height drops from 43" empty to 42" w/ gear to 41" w/ TT & WD hooked up.

TT tongue is at 22" unattached and 22" after WD hooked up (w/ perhaps 1/2" TT slant to front from back in both cases.) Bars are "level" w/ significant tension (I have to raise the rear of the truck significantly to attach them in last link).

I regret I do not yet have weights for TT hooked up w/out WD applied. I presume there would be more weight on the RR and less on the FF of the TV, but again, the TW is ~1000#, and that's all still on the RR axle after WD hooked up--no transfer to FF or TT. ??

I had the hitch lower by one hole and the tilt higher (less) by one washer), and that resulted in removing wt. from the FF by 150# and adding same to the RR. Not good.

What am I missing? Do I need to increase the tilt (I can fit one more washer in) and/or raise the hitch even more? (Not sure the TT won't be front high if I raise hitch though.)

Or should I be happy w/ the FF weight remaining static and letting the RR take all the wt? (It tows like a dream, BTW, but this WD has me baffled--seems like it's defying the laws of physics!)

Jim
6 REPLIES 6

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi again Jim,
I would estimate your tongue weight to be around 1250lbs - possibly a bit more. Remember, that weight of the trailer you got at the scale included the weight from the tongue that was transferred back to the trailer axles by the WD hitch. You most likely have around 200-250lbs moved back there when you draw up the bars. I would say you have just the right sized WD bars.

Take a look at the first post in this thread if you have not already done so.

To get accurate figures you should weigh your rig as follows.
1) front axle load and rear axle load for TV only.
2) front, rear, and combined TT axles for TV plus TT with no WD applied.
3) front, rear, and combined TT axles for TV plus TT with WD applied.

Doing this will let you figure all the numbers you need to get accurate WD from your hitch, loading information for your truck and trailer, and determine if you are within all ratings. This may not be possible at the DOT scales but is well worth the small amount of money paid at a Cat scale or similar.
Actually, to be 100% sure, you would need to measure the weights under each wheel but most of us do not have that opportunity.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jvoelzow
Explorer
Explorer
retired4fun2002 wrote:
Jim, which hitch are you using. Ron

EAZ Lift with 1400# bars. (See my post.)

I'll also take this opportunity to thank everyone for the QUICK responses! Amazing! Great forum!

Like I said, it tows like a dream, so I'll quit agonizing over it knowing the RR (rated 6200#) is OK taking the bulk of the WD as long as FF is at "stock" height and weight.

To address a question--I weighed the trailer (all weights, actually) on the Oregon DOT scales as it was hooked up w/ the WD, so TT weight quoted is at the TT axles with WD. I have a couple hundred pounds of "stuff" in the TT, probably currently towards the front actually, so TW may be a bit more than the 1000# I estimated. (Jayco says TT dry is 7200# w/ a "hitch wt." of 950#.)

Thanks again,

Jim

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks to me like you have returned the front axle to the weight that is was before hooking up the trailer to the truck. This is exactly what the goal should be! The weight that was removed from the front axle was restored via the WD bar tension. Don't worry about the rear as long as you are within axle and tire loading limits. The rear axle is NOT taking all the tongue weight. Approximately 25% of it has been put on the trailer axles via the tension on the WDBars.

How do you know your trailer weight is 7400lbs? Did you actually weigh it empty? If that is the weight with the WD hooked up then the actual,weight is less than that not counting the tongue weight which remains on the hitch. Also, your tongue weight is probably higher than you think.

Sounds to me as though you have nailed the WD on your rig. :). I would go camping and be happy!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Frankly your measurements sound perfect to me.
Your truck is heavy duty and designed to carry the weight towards the rear. With the hitch properly adjusted the front height of your truck may not change at all - mine doesn't. The front is just too stiff to be forced down with that amount of weight.
Just adjust the hitch so that a fair amount of weight is transferred and test drive it. If it handles well then your set.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
You should be happy with the set up. The rear is designed to handle the weight. Often have over 6000 on mine.

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, which hitch are you using. Ron