Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDH for Kodiak 160 Hybrid trailer

AdirondackerSou
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone -
I am not exactly a newbie with camping. I used to work for a campground for many years but never had to haul camping trailers on the road. Now the situation has altered and I am now pulling and have some questions about anti-sway hitches, recommendations and suggestions on what the best approach would be to deal with wind gusts and general highway driving. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Northeast on July.
18 REPLIES 18

AdirondackerSou
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
First we need to clear some things up. Your title says WDH and your question is about anti-sway.
Depending on what the trailer weighs and what you are pulling it with, you may not need a WDH. I'm pretty sure that is a fairly light trailer. If you are pulling it with a 1500 series truck, you probably don't need the WDH.
As for the anti-sway, there are friction bars you can add that would do the job for that trailer.

The terminology is confusing to me. Friction bars are ones that attach to the trailers tongue with bolts and a small socket and are connected to the hitch with a small ball that is offset from the main towing ball.

Is that correct?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
AdirondackerSouth wrote:
Hello everyone -
I am not exactly a newbie with camping. I used to work for a campground for many years but never had to haul camping trailers on the road. Now the situation has altered and I am now pulling and have some questions about anti-sway hitches, recommendations and suggestions on what the best approach would be to deal with wind gusts and general highway driving. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Northeast on July.

Yep, you need to tell us what your tow vehicle is and its specs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kodiak 160 with a WDH. I tried pulling the camper without it and was bouncing all over the place. With it, I forget my camper's back there.

Don't ask me why. I don't understand the physics. I just know it's true.

I have no trouble with sway. I never travel faster than 55 mph because of my tires.
BabaMartha

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
First we need to clear some things up. Your title says WDH and your question is about anti-sway.
Depending on what the trailer weighs and what you are pulling it with, you may not need a WDH. I'm pretty sure that is a fairly light trailer. If you are pulling it with a 1500 series truck, you probably don't need the WDH.
As for the anti-sway, there are friction bars you can add that would do the job for that trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500