cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH vs tongue weight of TT

Sam_Whiskey
Explorer
Explorer
Would there be any issues with using a WDH designed for a TT with, let's say, an 800 (or more) pound tongue weight with a TT with a 500 pound tongue weight?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Would there be any issues with wearing size 12 shoes or larger when you actually are a size 8?
Apples to oranges comparison.
While bigger is not always better, your comparison doesn't fit in the situation.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Would there be any issues with wearing size 12 shoes or larger when you actually are a size 8?

Bigger isn't always better. There can be issues with going too big on WD bars. Some TT makers even state how big a bar their TTs can handle baed on the thickness of the frame.

When it comes to WD bars, the right size is the right size.

Having said that... Sometimes certain match ups can benefit from a slight change in WD bars. An example would be a softly sprung TV. A slightly heavier bar set can sometimes help such a TV handle the TW better.. But this situation should be viewed as the exception ... Not the rule
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer gave me 1,000 pound bars and I enjoyed the tow much more after I made him supply the 600 pound bars that my setup required. Half of the gain may have been a delusional but the other half was not. If I was interested in lifting the rear wheels off the ground, I would have kept the heavier bars.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Shouldn't do anything more then give you a stiffer ride than you would have with say 600 lbs. bars.

i had 1000lb bars with a small TT with 400lb tongue weight. Yes it was absolutely a stiff ride. Went back to the dealer and swapped for 600lb, and noticed a huge difference as soon as i drove home that day. It wasn't really a safety issue, but really affected the comfort of our ride.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
My bars are 1400, more than I need but it sure helps.
Mark

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't do anything more then give you a stiffer ride than you would have with say 600 lbs. bars.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
WDH bars are designed for a range of weights. Each WDH system has some way to vary the amount of weight transferred to fine tune that. The Equal-i-zer 4-pt 1000 pound bars Ih ave read work well for 400-1000 pounds of TW.

Also, if the 500 pounds is a manufacturer's published dry weight, then 800 bars is quite appropriate. That 500 pounds is likely to grow, by 100-300 pounds by the time someone loads up for a long weekend.

FWIW, I use 1200 pound bars on my 7000 pound GVWR, 485 pound dry TW TV. It has worked well for 5 years.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
There are a number of variables, but I think you would have to at least adjust the spring bars to their minimum tension and see how that works.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L