cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution bar - using a pipe ... ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
107 REPLIES 107

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
Replacement Lift Brackets with Handle for Reese Weight Distribution Systems from E-trailer..Notice that the cheater pipe is included for use on the Reese WD hitch!

These are the pipes which come in two sizes depending on the weight distribution system the RV has.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a pipe at the rv parts place, brought it home, didn't fit, so called them and they searched their catalog, and found that these come in two diameters. The smaller one fit our 19 ft. Tamarack, but didn't fit the 32 ft. Alpenlite.

They called and said the larger ones came in. So now know that those pipes come in two sizes .... the first one was $12 (smaller diameter), the second was $19 (larger diameter) ... yep our weekender takes the smaller diameter whereas the one we live in take the larger diameter one.

Life has been super busy, so didn't get back to RV.Net until now.

Shalom.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on the head tilt. The more washers the further the chains are from the snap hook. I ran 6 washers in my WDH and had to lift the rear of the truck 4-5" before the last link on the chain would hook the bracket, then needed the bar to finish. If I were using a 3/4-1 ton truck and had a light TW then I suppose I could just lift the coupler up with the tongue jack and latch by hand. But lifting 900+lbs coupled to a soft sprung F150, it took a lot to get proper weight transfer.

Anyone that's hitching up and not using the tongue jack and is able to latch up without the bar is not doing it right. Those are the guys you see that have their truck sagging and the TT's front way too low and the rear high. No tension on the bars.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't care how others do it other than they are not following the correct procedure recommended by the WD Hitch manufacturer.I guess some rules of manufacturer ratings/guidelines should be followed and other not on here.

From E-Trailer on "How To Hookup"

Method for setting up a system with snap-up lift brackets:

1-Hook your trailer up to your tow vehicle.
Choose reference points on your tow vehicle's front and rear wheel wells. Measure from these points down to the ground.

2-Use a jack to raise the trailer tongue and the rear of your vehicle.
Hook the chain onto the lift bracket on one side of your trailer.
Snap up the lift bracket using the "lift handle". This may take a good amount of leverage and effort.

3-Secure the bracket in place with a pin and clip.
Repeat steps 4 - 6 for the other side.

4-Lower the jack and re-measure the distance from the reference points on your vehicle's wheel wells to the ground. The measurement for the front should be nearly equal to that in rear, with no more than 1/2" difference.

5-If the front of your vehicle is lower than the rear, increase the number of chain links between the spring bars and the lift brackets until the height is about even. If there are no more links available for adjustment, angle the weight-distribution head assembly up to correct the height difference.

6-If the rear of your vehicle is lower than the front, reduce the number of chain links between the spring bars and the lift brackets until the height is about even.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
How about you fella's just agreeing to disagree and that there is more than one way to lift/lower a trailer. And as far as straining a jack, they come in multiple load ratings, so that if you have a smaller trailer/truck you can purchase a more lightweight model and if you have a heavier trailer/truck you can purchase one with a greater capability.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
RoadXYZ wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

Maybe if one were 30 or 40 years old, but not these senior who into their 70s.

I am 75 and in poor health and never need the pipe. Just lift the front end with the tongue jack.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

Diminished ability,really? You can't be serious,a joke right?

I fail to see the humor in somebody saying they have diminished ability. for the record, so do I.
bumpy

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously, they are put there to give the people of "diminished ability" the leverage needed to flip up the brackets when the truck and trailer are lifted with the tongue jack! more of a nuisance than anything else!

Diminished ability,really? You can't be serious,a joke right?
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
okay, I do the lifting with the tongue jack (electric no less), but I still have to use pipe because my hands aren't strong enough to fully lift the brackets even with NO weight on them.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
I think that everyone is "not" talking about the same hitch.I am talking about the hitch below with the little round fingers coming up to put your cheater pipe on.This particular hitch was designed for the use of a cheater pipe as shown on the top of the bracket.

This type of WD hitch is "made" for cheater pipe use,not for hand use.

yep, don't know what others are talking about if it isn't this type. if those little round fingers aren't for the pipe, just why are they there? :s
bumpy

So you can let the pipe slip out of your greasy/sweaty fingers and go right through your leg or foot! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously, they are put there to give the people of "diminished ability" the leverage needed to flip up the brackets when the truck and trailer are lifted with the tongue jack! more of a nuisance than anything else!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I ever loose my handle/cheater pipe,I like this one a lot for $10.

Curt Universal Handle/Cheater
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I think that everyone is "not" talking about the same hitch.I am talking about the hitch below with the little round fingers coming up to put your cheater pipe on.This particular hitch was designed for the use of a cheater pipe as shown on the top of the bracket.

yep, don't know what others are talking about if it isn't this type. if those little round fingers aren't for the pipe, just why are they there? :s
bumpy

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacement Lift Brackets with Handle for Reese Weight Distribution Systems from E-trailer..Notice that the cheater pipe is included for use on the Reese WD hitch!

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
For those that don`t use the tongue jack....I`de like to see you unload a heavily loaded snap up bracket with just the pipe.

Let me know when and where you find it!!!!

I think we're at the stage in this discussion that some folks that made early statements that have now been proven wrong/incorrect are now in the "Saving Face" mode and that's unfortunate since it could leave some that want good information confused:R

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL