cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equalizer Adjustment questions round #3

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at the Indiana weight station near my house for hopefully the last and final time. Trying to get my Equalizer E4 adjusted "perfect".

First time after I had dealer set up my system, I weighed and was restoring all weight to front axle of truck except #200 pounds. Towing in wind pushed my 2500HD and TT around enough to not making towing comfortable at all.

After I made adjustments WITHOUT even adding washers, I then restored all weight to front axle of truck except #180 pounds.

After adding 1 washer, I now am at 7 total washers and now am restoring all weight to front axle of truck except 120# pounds.

My question is do I need to restore ALL FRONT AXLE WEIGHT and get that number to zero? Or is it sufficient what I have?

Trailer sits slightly nose down, and truck is sitting level.
My equalizer bars aren't EXACTLY parallel to trailer frame, they appear to be SLIGHTLY pointed up on the back side, pointed up towards trailer, not towards ground.

Opinions? Advice?
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
1,200# bars per equalizers suggestion based on that 1,040 tounge weight. Going to use it a few more times to determine its handling it perfect as I hope.
Truck is 2007 GMC 2500HD Long bed Crew Cab 2wd
thanks

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
If I did the math correct, your tw is 1,040lbs, tt is 7,180lbs. Curious, what size bars bars do you have? Can't remember if you have posted it before.

As mentioned, if the truck is handling better, roll with it!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Figured I better post my actual weights from this weigh station trip to verify everything is looking fine...

Truck alone with WD bars on top of tool box
Steer Axle=3,600# drive axle=3,340# trailer axle=0 gross weight=6,940#

Truck and TT with bars on and 1 extra added washer
Steer Axle=3,480# drive axle=4,340# trailer axle=6,300# gross weight=14,120#

Truck and TT WITHOUT bars attached (on toolbox again)
Steer axle=3,200# drive axle=4,780# trailer axle=6,140 gross weight=14,120#

Let me know what ya think. Thanks!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I am restoring all but 160 lbs on my setup, have towed 16.5K miles and wouldn't change a thing on mine. 8 washers is the max, but I would stop tinkering with it and do some towing instead.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You're good on the weight distribution IMO, but what concerns me is you said the bars are not parallel. They should be parallel to the surface they ride on on the L-Brackets on the frame so they take maximum advantage of the friction provided there. If they are at a little bit of an angle, you're probably OK if you can't get them more parallel by moving the hitch head or the L-Brackets as most of the friction control is in the hitch head.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies so far. Anyone other experts still out there on weight distribution?

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Actually, you need to add weight to the front axle. Sounds like your bars are not big enough, if you can, go to the next higher weight rating on the bars.

I don't think so. Not more weight than what was there before the trailer was hitched up. The recommendations have changed in the last five (?) years or so.

Ford and others now recommend only returning 50% of the weight lifted off the front. Equalizer and others say return upto but no more than 100%. So I try to get it between 50-100%, depending upon how close I am to the rear GAWR.

The O.P. probably doesn't have to worry about his rear GAWR as he has a 3/4 ton, so anywhere between 50-100% return of weight should be good. Just choose anything between 50-100% weight return that rides well.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, you need to add weight to the front axle. Sounds like your bars are not big enough, if you can, go to the next higher weight rating on the bars.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That may be close enough. Try driving with it that way for a while and see if it handles OK.
Driving in severe wind is never much fun no matter how well the hitch is set up.