cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well the "Gall Boys" and Kedron Caravans go upmarket

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Well the 4 X4 Caravanning family have decided to decided to add some lightweight "C in C" furniture and other improvements to their tough Off Roaders

16 REPLIES 16

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
An Opalite Caravan(mainly all Composites)

Designer Vans Illusion Pop Up.

Royal Flair Piazza

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Some idea of the variety, this Company Grandcruiser Caravans released this Scamp like lightweight Caravan several weeks ago at a Caravan show

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
What is the prize tag Robert .

Frank roughly in the $50,000-$60,000 mark. US Travel Trailers are a lot cheaper due to economies of scale, but they are a lot "cheaper" in durability and general quality as well.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
But Robert, if the US has a much bigger and more diverse market, why can't US manufacturers sell to various niches? How can the Australians afford to be more innovative and "out of the ordinary" in a smaller market, where there are fewer economies of scale? I just do not get it. This situation flies in the face of everything I know about economics (which evidently is not much).

I think the diversity is not really there, unlike here, which on the surface of it seem strange.It would appear, that manufactures in the US, are making "generic products" as another posted has stated with different names. They are not prepared to go out on a limb, due to making the cheapest product available and trying to keep to general industry expectations. Another factor is all of the current 130 Manfacturers in Australia are not part of a larger grouping, unlike the 4\5 large companies in the US that own many brands.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
According to Google, there are maybe 23 million people in Australia, versus around 40 million in just California, let alone the rest of the US. So how could it be that such a small population supports such a vibrant and creative caravan industry, far superior to the US?? I do not understand the economics of this situation. Someone will earn a PhD by studying this anomaly and solving the mystery. In the meantime, I feel deprived.

When I visited OZ on business in the 80's and 90's I found a people who were striving to be "good enough" compared to the US and similar countries. Here we have a generation who was deeply affected by the Great Depression, there it felt like they had serious intentions to prove they weren't a third-world country.

I still see it today in the Breville brand of countertop kitchen appliances. Although they're manaufactured in Asia, the Australia design folks go the extra mile to prove they're better than the incumbents. If you see one at a store, look at the plug for an example of that obsession (it has a hole for your finger, so it gets pulled from the wall without damaging the cord).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
What is the prize tag Robert .
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
But Robert, if the US has a much bigger and more diverse market, why can't US manufacturers sell to various niches? How can the Australians afford to be more innovative and "out of the ordinary" in a smaller market, where there are fewer economies of scale? I just do not get it. This situation flies in the face of everything I know about economics (which evidently is not much).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I totally love what they are doing with travel trailers (caravans ;)) in Australia. The features, finishes and styling are just amazing. RV manufacturers in NA should take note. It's always the same 'ol stuff here and it's hard to differentiate one TT from the next unless you glance at the name on the outside.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
According to Google, there are maybe 23 million people in Australia, versus around 40 million in just California, let alone the rest of the US. So how could it be that such a small population supports such a vibrant and creative caravan industry, far superior to the US?? I do not understand the economics of this situation. Someone will earn a PhD by studying this anomaly and solving the mystery. In the meantime, I feel deprived.

Tort actions, maybe. Just saying. 😉

LS

Nothing to with legal action, more to do with cost. US manufactures are not prepared to do anything outrageous as they are always looking for the bottom line. Anything too far out of the ordinary may not sell.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Tort actions, maybe. Just saying. 😉

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
I want an Aussie trailer so bad...Fit, finish and function is so far ahead of the US makes..and it would look great behind my built 80 series Land Cruiser
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
‘07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the size and the layout is great... Make that in a 120VAC VERSION and sell some up here...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Is that an induction cooktop? I wonder if the solar can keep up with the draw?

By the looks, it probably has a fuel cell.

Really nice ideas down under and the fit and finish looks great.

Seeing there is a lot of Custom items as well I guess you can get a fuel cell others offer them.
Unique TopEnder design Hot-dipped galvanised Premium Strength double 4-inch beam chassis using A-Grade Blue-Scope steel, Step mesh on A-Frame, Rear drag protection bar & Recessed Spares with Additional Lockers
(Registered Design Pending)
Extended A-Frame, Stone Guard, 2 x Jerry can holders & Padded Sacrificial Stone Bra on upper front body also
6 Tonne Rated 360 McHitch Coupling
Upgraded Thickness Interlocked full aluminium wall frame using solid high-tensile steel punch pins with a welded 1-piece aluminium roof frame.
Choice of the New 'Cooloola' Italian made veneer, bonded to Solid Light Weight Ply, CNC Machined & Edge Banded Furniture or Hand crafted American or Tasmanian Oak Furniture (with the New Recessed TE'3, Oak furniture vans are limited to 19ft Body for weight)
High Quality Marine grade glass filled positive lock door catches.
Kedron's own 'Unique' Independent suspension with Military Style Leaf Springs & Shock absorbers.
12” commercial 'Marinised' brakes with flush plugs & agricultural bearings
16” steel / alloy rims, 265/75/R16 Goodyear quality steel belt radials including Twin Recessed Spares (Option of LC200 compatible 17' Wheels with Goodyear USA made 'Adventurers' available also)
Side protection Chassis Brush Bars (Innovated not copied!)
Propeller-plate scrub panels
Scratch resistant Powder-Coated Exterior Clad Finish in a choice of colours - Silver / Champagne / Jasper / White.
215litre 2-door 240/12volt compressor fridge
4-burner (3 Gas - 1 240v Hotplate) / Griller & Oven
Microwave - Secured with powder-coated steel brackets to furniture also
22” HD TEAC TV/DVD with wall brackets
Portable Satellite wiring
Air Command - IBIS 3 Roof Air conditioner
2 x 'Fan-Tastic' 12volt in/out Fan Hatches
JACK TV antenna
Upgraded European-made Tinted Double Glazed windows, with insect repellant brushes in rollers & silver frame finish
Shower / Toilet includes External Shower & Gas Hotwater System
Ensuite layouts include raised porceline sinks
3 separated 'KEDRON' Water tanks, uniquely made in QLD for bolting direct to chassis rails by robo-mould, baffled and Extra-Wall Strength - 2 x 100litre shower & 1 x 100litre drinking seperated with water filter & water tank gauges.
3 x 140w High Grade Japanese 'Kyocera' Solar Panels
3 x 120a/h maintenance free AGM batteries
40amp 3 stage float charger.
Vibration resistant L.E.D lights Internal & External with Upgraded Chrome Tail-light assemblies
Deluxe Quality Hide Leather Upholstery
Gal' Sheet lined 3/4 Through Boot Door-side & Generator Box Provision off-side on most model layouts.

STANDARD

INTERNAL

Full 12volt LED lighting system
USB Charge Outlets to suit Smart-phones at Bedside
Stainless Steel Range-hood
Radio / CD / USB / BlueTooth Player
Analogue Clock
12volt points
Down lights above lounge and dinette
Waterproof ply bench tops & bases of metal side roller drawers
Stainless steel deep basin sink with LED above
Mains pressure tap
Water filter from drinking tank
Inner-spring mattresses (Queen beds liftup on gas struts)
Luxury Quality Hide Leather Upholstery
Sectional Industrial Tile floor throughout
Smoke detector, fire extinguisher, earth leakage safety switch and more.

EXTERNAL

Sunburst Heavy Duty Roll out awning
High Density Styrene Roof & Wall Insulation
Pullout aluminium door step
H/Duty Drop down jack legs
Mud flaps behind Wheels, Under Van Front & in Front of Pull-out Door Step
Twin Rated Safety Chains
8-inch Metal centre jockey wheel
18” galvanised boot with light
Twin 9kg Gas Bottles
Triple lock security entrance door with entrance handle & light
External 240/12volt power outlets