Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, we bought the tug!

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
Now all we need is something to pull.

After an exhausting week of research, questions (and very helpful answers here - thanks to all) and searching, we wound up buying a 2010 Toyota Sequoia. So half the project is complete. Too late, we learned that when we have the kayak racks on top, even without the boats, we can't pull into our garage. Meh. But it's a good strong vehicle, not a truck, so useful as a daily drive.

We had pretty much settled on what we wanted, but in a brilliant flash of inspiration, I realized that we couldn't pull it onto our property because it's too long. Our driveway is hairpin-shaped, rather than circular, and our lot is quite narrow and nicely landscaped, so there's no way it will navigate the curve and no place to drive off the driveway. Backing it out would be a problem because the street is both fairly busy and quite narrow. So now we're looking at TTs that are no longer than 22' box. That's the limit for the driveway of the friend who has so kindly offered to store it for us. We may have to provision and load it via shuttle, like the ISS.

Who knew there'd be so much to think about? I'm mourning not being able to buy the absolutely perfect TT we'd decided on, but there will always be another.
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost
15 REPLIES 15

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
MargaretB wrote:
We probably won't take the kayaks.......But the issue of the too-low garage door means we have to find another way to transport them each time. Ugh.

Umm, what am I missing? Why cant you load your kayaks once you pull out of the garage???

We have a set of Thule Hullavators for our kayaks. The two pieces weigh 45 lbs. each and stick up too high to clear the garage door by more than 1/4 inch. We'd have to take them off and put them back on in the driveway each time. With the lower Kia Sorento, we put them on in the spring and take them off in late October. But the Sequoia is much taller than the Kia.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
For 2 people I think a 22 footer would be comfortable. I can't imagine going camping without the kayaks though!

I would think there would be plenty of 18'-22' ultralight trailers that would work out well for you. You will probably want to stay away from slides, they add considerable weight.

Banks will finance trailers purchased from private parties. When I was looking dealers were 50% to 100% higher than identical private party used trailers.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
At least you're doing it in the "right" order. We traded our Class C motorhome for a 37' fifth wheel. After we made the deal, on the way home we had to buy a truck. I was kinda backwards...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
We probably won't take the kayaks.......But the issue of the too-low garage door means we have to find another way to transport them each time. Ugh.

Umm, what am I missing? Why cant you load your kayaks once you pull out of the garage???
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow,so many issues. Looks like a hybrid is your only option (tow rating, payload, storage at home/friend).

2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We're realizing that unless we buy something less than 20', we can't even get it around the driveway, and there's no place at all to store anything. So we're looking at storage lots, of which there's one about two or three miles away.

The unit we're seriously considering is at a dealer, and we've found that if we buy from them, they give a discount on purchase and installation of weight distribution hitch, brake controller, sway bar, and brake actuator.

We can't buy from a private party because of the finances involved - too complicated to discuss here, but we aren't in a position to pay cash right now.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice, you'll love the Sequoia.

As for the trailer, why not buy the tt you want and store it off property in a secure lot? I know it adds to cost but it's worth a few hundred bucks to me to have what I really want. You won't be happy settling for anything less. Mine's down the road at an RV dealers back lot for $200/yr.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

westend
Explorer
Explorer
We definitely plan on a weight distribution hitch, and are researching brake actuators.
The WDH can be sized to the TT you buy since the bars will be sized to the weight of the trailer.
For ease of operation and reliability of product, I don't think you can go wrong with a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. I know a lot of folks on this Forum, me included, use the Prodigy and are very happy with it. I have the Prodigy II, the Prodigy III has a few more bells and whistles.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
rent bikes/ boats. You went with a half ton anything with low payload.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We probably won't take the kayaks(38# and 41#) when we use the TT, so no weight problems there. Together, and with their Thule Hullavators included, they probably weight just over 100#. But the issue of the too-low garage door means we have to find another way to transport them each time. Ugh.

I know there are as many opinions as there are people, but I doubt that our friend doesn't know what he's talking about. He may hold views that others don't agree with, but he's been trailering for 35 years, with a wide variety of TVs and TTs. We value his input, just as we value yours!

We definitely plan on a weight distribution hitch, and are researching brake actuators.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice tow vehicle, you'll love the Sequoia. Sounds like you're doing your homework and 1/2 way there.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a Google search on 2010 toyota sequoia gross vehicle weight - here is what I found:

MAXIMUM PAYLOAD** 1280 lbs.
MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY** 7800 lbs.

** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

You don't go into specifics about your TV's options - tow packace etc, but know that you WILL exceede payload before you reach max towing capacity. Your planning on bringing the Kyacks, having a full tank of gas, subtracting tounge weight - you heard about all that stuff - right?

Hopefully you plan on using a weight distributing hitch and stop taking advice from you neighbor.

Maybe you can post a picture of the sticker in the door jamb.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
But it's a good strong vehicle, not a truck, so useful as a daily drive.

BTW, your Sequoia is a truck. Just not a PU.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the first half of the deal! And huge congrats on discovering that your original thought re a trailer wasn't going to work....before rather than after the fact. It's been done both ways. Happy shopping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!