cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wfco8930/50

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add lithium to my travel trailer. I have researched it and can't understand what is the best way to go. Do I upgrade just the charging part or entire distribution panel, what parts would I need.
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can keep the panel and just upgrade the converter.
I was looking at the same thing with our old toyhauler but then I fixed the converter with a for sale sign….so never got to actually do it.
It’s a relative drop in replacement
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the input however Im still stuck on exactly what needs to be replaced. Do I completely get rid of the wf8930/50 fuse panel and charger,just the charger portion? If so with what model,surely someone has been down this road. This travel trailer has 1 slide,a 12 volt only fridge, awning is 12 volt so I need a charger to keep up with usage and prefer to do it one time only.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
That is a BIG IF
All the LA converters I have seen will only do bulk mode for a set amount of time. If it is a WFCO, they are usually stuck at 13.6 regardless of what their manual states. There are ways around it.(except for WFCOs) but none of them are user friendly in that one MUST do something each time to make it work. I have better things to do than hovering over batteries. Converters are cheap. just get the correct one and it will take care of itself.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the LA charger goes 14.2 to 14.6 volts the lithium will be at 100%.
Most do charge at this level.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Using a standard LA charger on Lithium batteries in a mutiple day boondock situation results in 62% charge. Several on multiple forums have replicated this finding..... Now if you are on hookups, it will get to 100% given enough time... But on hookup negates the need for a better battery.

For solid performance, I recommend Progressive Dynamics.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Lithium is not that different. Most "lithium" converters are actually not the best for lithium batteries.
The existing WFCO might work fine even if not perfect. Will not harm the lithium. Charging might be a little slower but will still far exceed lead-acid. Might short charge the lithium to maybe 90% - 95% which will not harm the lithium one bit. Might even last longer.

unless you have a battle born, they are telling people now that a normal charger will harm the battery on different forums. I can see their point also, if you never charge above 95 that means you never top balance so over time your cells can drift.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rickyrocket wrote:
Wow thanks for the info I am struggling with the 84 Amp hr.lead acid battery and I plan to upgrade to a lithium in the spring, my travel trailer came with the 12v only fridge that drained the battery in about 4 hrs. We have a huge state park with no hookups here and w/o good battery life it is rough. I don't like having to run a generator for hours.
Need a propane fridge or 600+ watts solar on the roof and park in good sun.

Probably help to know the fridge make and model# to explore operations or upgrades.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recommend you do a energy audit to determine your usage and then you will have a goal to what you want. But certainly you can install a Li and see what happens. Just keep in mind that there is no free prower with Li, what you use has to be replaced just like flooded.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likely a starting battery. 2x GC2 would provide 220Ah.

For minimum gen time with a Li battery you need a good charger that's designed for Li. Flooded battery chargers are 3 stage and many hours are required to fully charge plus best if only discharged to 50%. Li can be discharged to 20% or even lower. Then with a compatible charger they can take the full charge to 100%.

WFCO are well known to not charger to the absorb state (about 14.4V) so sure they will charger a Li overnight for example. There may be some models and/or installations that do better so understand what you have and what you want to accomplish.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for the info I am struggling with the 84 Amp hr.lead acid battery and I plan to upgrade to a lithium in the spring, my travel trailer came with the 12v only fridge that drained the battery in about 4 hrs. We have a huge state park with no hookups here and w/o good battery life it is rough. I don't like having to run a generator for hours.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rickyrocket wrote:
I want to add lithium to my travel trailer. I have researched it and can't understand what is the best way to go. Do I upgrade just the charging part or entire distribution panel, what parts would I need.

just upgrade the converter part of the power center. if you are doing it yourself you can buy a standalone converter and just screw it to the floor behind or under the power center then take the wires out of the lugs from the existing converter and put the wires from the new one in that place. This way if you sell the unit and want to keep your nice LFP batteries you can just put it back to normal and keep the converter/charger also for your next unit.

I only did a whole power center in my camper as it was a 1991 parallax with glass tube fuses and unfiltered dc power.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
So far, my experience with LiFePO4 has been that the non lithium rated converter has kept the battery at full charge. My TT is always connected to power in storage so extra charging time hasn’t mattered. I did buy and initially use a standalone battery charger to make sure it got the full voltage needed to equalize the cells occasionally. As long as the stock converter voltage is higher than the battery, it will continue charging. A lithium capable converter puts out higher voltage and amperage to charge the battery faster. I’ve since installed 200 watts of CIGS solar panels with a solar controller (previously had free standing panels) that keeps the batteries topped off. I have no plans to replace my converter unit. I did research that. About $240 or so for the WFCO converter and install didn’t seem to hard for a semi-knowledgeable DIYer. On my power center, its the metal box attached below the fuse box.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,this lithium upgrade is a challenge for the brain.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lithium is not that different. Most "lithium" converters are actually not the best for lithium batteries.
The existing WFCO might work fine even if not perfect. Will not harm the lithium. Charging might be a little slower but will still far exceed lead-acid. Might short charge the lithium to maybe 90% - 95% which will not harm the lithium one bit. Might even last longer.