cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are these straps for?

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
(Sorry if the formatting is bad, I'm doing this in the browser on my phone.)

We've started the renos on our PUP and under the mattresses, on the frames for where the beds are, there are these black straps. Does anyone know what they're for?

Photo 1

Photo 2
22 REPLIES 22

Keel
Explorer
Explorer
my guess would be to tie the beds together for shipment from factory, to dealer
and maybe to lift up on that end if it catches on the paneling top lip

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Yes, it's amazing how much those things can squish down.

After I read your initial reply about the size of the mattress I decided to try the Kleenex box test.

At first I thought it would ONLY fit the 2.5" foam mattress that the trailer came with (which are the original mattresses). But after doing the Kleenex box test I discovered that even sitting on top of the foam mattress, and after I had already installed the Reflectix and the anti-fatigue mats, that the Kleenex box didn't squish down at all! So now I have this: Reflectix, anti-fatigue mat, original foam mattress, 2.5" memory foam mattress toppper, mattress protector that covers the original foam and the topper, and a fitted sheet, and it fits it all perfectly! I won't be leaving our pillows and comforter on it whenever I close them up so they don't factor into the equation.

We finished 90% of the reno over the past weekend (worked solid on it both days). I'll do a post once it's all done, which should be this weekend.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
sbstryker wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
That's the same mattresses we had in our first popup. I made covers for them out of old quilts that I sewed to be fitted onto the mattresses and an eggcrate pad. It slept wonderfully.

Your PUP could accommodate the mattress with a topper height-wise?

Yes, it's amazing how much those things can squish down.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
Don't worry, I think they were put there just to prevent someone from deliberately pushing you bunk ends in without removing the canvas support poles first
Ken

Phew. I was worried there. Well if someone wants to kill me in my sleep now they have another way they can do it: death by collapsed PUP bed and roof :E

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry, I think they were put there just to prevent someone from deliberately pushing you bunk ends in without removing the canvas support poles first
Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, duplicate post 😞

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
On our old Bonaire popup (83 vintage) the straps had pins on them that went through the plywood base to keep the bunk ends from being pushed in while in use.
The design of your bunk end poles and canvas make me think that it is a Bonaire or Lionel (same family) unit.

Ken

That could be it! But now I've gone and covered them up with insulation and padding on the bunks. Am I going to die now? I'm exaggerating but seriously, is it okay to not pin them? We can't over pull them out and we don't have kids whoight pull them in in case they all of a sudden developed hulk levels of strength. Once pulled out the beds don't move at all.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
On our old Bonaire popup (83 vintage) the straps had pins on them that went through the plywood base to keep the bunk ends from being pushed in while in use.
The design of your bunk end poles and canvas make me think that it is a Bonaire or Lionel (same family) unit.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
That's the same mattresses we had in our first popup. I made covers for them out of old quilts that I sewed to be fitted onto the mattresses and an eggcrate pad. It slept wonderfully.

Your PUP could accommodate the mattress with a topper height-wise?

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
Not saying that is what they are but you have the original mattress/cover from 1983?

I do! They're horrible. BEHOLD! 1983 original foam mattress and mattress cover in all its nasty glory:

The fabric they used on it is crazy itchy. It's like wool with fibreglass insulation mixed into it. You'd have to only use a sleeping bag with these bad boys. You'd itch to death if you just used sheets with them.

We're replacing them with new memory foam toppers that will be the mattresses and custom sewn mattress covers. I just finished laying Reflectix and anti-fatigue mats on the bed platforms. I'll do a reno post when I'm all done.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
There are no loops or fasteners on the mattress cover and the mattress is longer/wider than the point where they're attached.

Not saying that is what they are but you have the original mattress/cover from 1983?

I am actually envious of people that use popups. Loved mine. But than was then and this is now.(1986 for a few years)
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
To hold mattress?

There are no loops or fasteners on the mattress cover and the mattress is longer/wider than the point where they're attached.

Super weird. I've Googled it and can't find anything like it. The trailer is from 1983 though and there's no much info out there about these older trailers.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
To hold mattress?
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK