cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I tow w/ a Chevy Express 2500 4.8L?

Budro1890
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get a TT. My current vehicle is a 2016 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van with the 4.8L engine and heavy-duty towing package. According to Chevy, this van has 285 hp, a GVWR of 8600lbs, and a max tongue weight of 1000lbs. Despite reading around, I am confused about how heavy of a trailer I can pull without comprising safety or stressing the van such that it's being damaged.

I want the TT to travel around Oregon and neighboring states with my two dogs and two bicycles. This means I will have to cross mountains though I'm fine with going over the passes at 40 to 45mph. I don't expect my dogs, gear, clothing, food, propane, etc will weigh more than 1000lbs.

I'm considering the Nash 22H (4400lb dry weight) and the Sandstorm 180SLC (5500lb dry weight).

Given all that, what do you thing the van can handle? Thanks for your input.
16 REPLIES 16

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be fine with either of those. You will be well within spec. They build those vans pretty beefy. 3000 lb of payload, 4000+ lb rear axle capacity. 8600 lb tow rating.

What it comes down to is expectations of power. Some people don't mind hanging in the slow lane letting the rig work, while others want major power on tap so that they can accelerate like they are driving a normal car.

I am not trying to win any races and as long as you aren't, you will be fine with those trailers, just watch the temps and make sure they stay within spec and let the rig work and do its job and it will be fine.
1998 Chevrolet K1500
2005 Keystone Hornet Lite RSL

APT
Explorer
Explorer
GM says the tow rating is 8100 pounds. You have plenty of suspension to handle 1000+ pounds of TW. I think acceptable performance will be your limit which is hard for anyone else to tell you. I doubt you'll notice much difference between the two TTs you listed already. Towing any high walled RV takes a fair amount of power. You'll really only notice the difference on hills or uphill starts. Use tow/haul mode and limit top trans gear to 4.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)