cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what did you get dealer to throw in?

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
When you bought your trailer, what were you able to get the dealer to include into the price? For example you get the dealer down to $20,000 for a trailer, were you able to get them to throw in a Equal-i-zer, level pads, etc... I'm negoitating with a dealer out of state and want to get an idea of how much I can push for.
Thanks
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr
30 REPLIES 30

sidney
Explorer
Explorer

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
My TT came with an Aussie BBQ Grill that attaches to the back bumper. But I doubt the dealer had anything to do with it - I think it was a promotional item thrown in by Keystone.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it might be a good idea to finance something with the RV. A $2000 generator at 2% interest is a quite good deal, for example. I sometimes call it a "free" generator, but that is of course untrue because it was part of the package, similar with the tow hitch.

When I get my next rig (a motorhome), I probably will see about a package deal to toss in a small cargo trailer, and a 2000 watt Honda generator. (The portable generator is useful even with a rig that has an inbuilt genset, mainly because it can charge batteries at the same rate, but use half the fuel per hour, assuming no A/C or microwave use.)

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
The one we are looking at is no longer made, 2013 Jay Flight 28bhs. I like the new 28bhbe, but the boss wants to stay in a certain price range and likes this trailer. There aren't any new 28bhs by me with the options we want and I can't get a rvdirect quote on that model. So I'm somewhat limited on my choices. If I make a deal I'll be traveling 8 hrs to pick it up. So I'm trying to get as much input from those on here as possible.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
A Headache
Full timing it since July 2012

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing, I have purchased almost a dozen RVs and all were used and purchased directly from the owner.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireman02 wrote:
When you bought your trailer, what were you able to get the dealer to include into the price? For example you get the dealer down to $20,000 for a trailer, were you able to get them to throw in a Equal-i-zer, level pads, etc... I'm negoitating with a dealer out of state and want to get an idea of how much I can push for.
Thanks

So far I have seen a lot of posts saying basically don't bother, but I disagree. I negotiated the best price and didn't pay extra for the included starter kit or PDI and then had them add a 12k/1200 Equal-i-zer WDH for $200 INSTALLED and a Carefree of Colorado slide out Kover II for $200 INSTALLED. Both these were better than 1/2 the normal cost if purchased separately. Dealer didn't make any $$$ in either the equip cost or the labor to install so I think you can get something for a real good deal when purchasing a new trailer.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I got the best deal by factory ordering my 21T Komfort .
I had already been RV trash for a decade and had learned what I needed .
We had attended several RV shows for the previous 5 years and we determined we wanted almost every option item on the sheet .
We needed stout construction suited for boondock dry camping .
There was a local dealer and two other dealers within 150 miles .
We just asked each one of them to bid the exact same trailer .
The local dealer was not the low bidder the first time but agreed immediately to match the lowest bid . As I recall we paid about 65.789 % of the list price .
If I was to do it again I would not include the RV batteries on the list .
Instead I would buy 2 GC2 golf cart batteries from Costco or other .
I would definitely spec out a factory order again because it was cheaper than the "trailer show " price anyway .

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
After negotiating our price, we got our dealer to throw in a Fantastic Fan including the installation and shelving in our wardrobes and several cabinets to my wife's specifications (the dealer did a great job with higher quality shelving than with our last trailer purchase from a different dealer).
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Being a TT newbie, I too was concerned about what's thrown in the deal and the actual price. I just finalized the details of my first new purchase this week.
We got a good WD / sway hitch and a brake controller with installation and set up thrown in right off the bat when we asked for a price on the unit we decided was perfect.
Near the end of the deal, after much research / other quotes for the exact same unit at 3 other places, the local guy was still about 2k higher than the cheapest price I found after you itemized the specific details. So, I told him to split the difference with me - give me 1k in parts / accessories credit. I even told him "You know that's only about 700 bucks for your cost of parts, but I'd have to pay the going rate for the items." He did the usual "I gotta ask my boss" routine and was back in a minute saying that was fine and the deal is done.
I know I could have gotten a better price on the just the trailer - but all things considered, I'm happy with the arrangement. I will pickup the trailer knowing I will write out one check and then be able to go in the parts store to pick out my choice of the extras....I thought I did ok for a newbie when the sales guy said "Yeah, most people don't think any farther ahead than a sewer hose and leveling blocks. 1k will get you a lot more."

jdphillips73
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought our 32ft Forest River Salem Lite Cruise last week. MSRP-27k plus 7% tax. Plus I paid no dealer fees or bought any accessories. Yes, I'm positive the dealer made money off of the sale, which is fine. However, he did not make as much as he would have liked.

we paid 16,400 out the door. I already had my sway/stabilizer bars so when I went out to hook to the RV, the crew installed them on the new trailer.

We had our financing approved and secured before ever going to a dealer. Plus, have your lowest prices you found on the web printed to show to the dealer. We went to 3 dealerships in person, and contacted 4 more via phone... Ended up with 33.5% off of MSRP.

This isn't a story from long ago...this happened last week. South Haven RV located in South Haven, Mississippi.
2005 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab 6.0, 4.10 gears (300hp/360torque/10,800 towing capacity

TV- 2013 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 281QBLX (5400 dry weight)
Ava-Wife
James-Toddler

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Ours listed for 19,900. We paid 14,800. Got a complete W/D hitch + Brake controller. All calibrated and explained to us how to check and adjust it. We think we got a good deal, and in the end, that's all that counts! Bargain for what you're comfortable with. Be willing to walk away. You can always come back next week. If they sell the one you're looking at, they will make another one for you. Your sales person may even catch you before you get off the lot... and maybe not...
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

HGL
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought ours this past summer, I started working with a local dealer and had a great price, the only problem, they couldn't deliver until October due to build schedules. Another dealer 400 miles away gave me a price lower and then I got them down another $700 for me to come pick it up from them. We love our trailer. I did my research, talked to a lot of the dealers and found one who gave me the best price in my timeline.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireman02 wrote:
Thanks
You should push for 35% off the msrp and buy your own hitch and misc online for way less that what they are charging you if they "throw it in".

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS