cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in the TC forum because the truck camper can get way back in farther than the other RV's making communication with family and friends very difficult...

I have a Yagi directional antenna(Cell phone) and a Wilson 45db booster along with a long pole for the antenna..Used to work great when it was analog but now,not so much..I spend so much time out of contact with others way back in the hills, so I have been looking for an affordable alternative..

I found a satellite messaging device that was kinda inexpensive with a low cost plan and when your not using it,you can put it to sleep for $4 a month..It works everywhere and I can set it on the back of the dinette seat by the window and it gets reception..I am quite happy with it..Oh and a SOS function that brings EMS to your spot if anything happened to you or your family..

What do you use for communicating when your on the verge of cell service in your truck camper?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
35 REPLIES 35

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
InReach here and ever since they were introduced. I've used it in AK, MT, ID, WA, Canada, etc.

I use the Freedom Plan and shut it off when not going out in the backcountry.

Works very well.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like the dedicated phone number for texting where I can text anyone and anyone that has the number can text me through the satellite..I don't understand the email nor need it..I was worried about reception but it gets reception in the house and the truck camper by a window... Best $199 I've spent in a long time..

Once I get the rest of my solar hookups from Amazon for my TC solar, I'm heading to places a cell won't work for the real test..lol
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I found occasional break from cellphones very relaxing.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I chose Garmin Inreach years ago.....with the Safety Plan. It serves as my ultimate backup plan should the "big one" hit us here on the Oregon coast. If we lose all other communications ( except ham radio ), The Inreach will always work. The cheaper plans that you can shut off might be problematic for me..... it requires communications with Inreach to turn back on...... thus I choose the plan that stays on always.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
sbryan@vtbryans.com wrote:
Garmin InReach. Has worked from the wilds of Alaska, the Yukon, the back woods of Maine and everywhere in between. Subscription is cheap insurance.

Yup, I went with the new Zoleo messenger,I like the $4 a month when I don't need it.. There was a bunch of good reviews for the inReach... It was a tossup for me but money out of the pocket for the item won our here. Lol
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin InReach. Has worked from the wilds of Alaska, the Yukon, the back woods of Maine and everywhere in between. Subscription is cheap insurance.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired