cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about this set up?

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Chevy with the 5.3 eng and trailer package with a towing capacity with the 3.42 rear at 9800 lbs. Thinking of going to a larger trailer that is 29 ft and dry wt of 6600 lbs.I travel light and just me and the bride and one cat. I know things add up but I think or feel this is doable. That are your thoughts? Thanks Ed. I do not need to be the first one over the hill and would be staying here in California.
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You haven't provided enough info to know if the truck is overloaded but...

In terms of pulling power, probably not a big issue on flat ground but expect to be turning a lot of revs on hills in a lower gear. As long as you have a low enough gear, it should make it to the top of the hill.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 1958 my grandparents towed a travel trailer from NY to Texas to Denver and back. If their 210 hp Buick accomplished this you should have no problem.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Your 5.3 has 315 HP and 335 ft lbs of torque along with a 3.42 tear end. My 2013 Tundra had 381 HP and 400 ft lbs torque and a 4.30 rear end. Both yours and mine had towing capacity of 9800 lbs. The TT I had was about 7000 lbs on the road and 30' as compared to the possibly 8500 lbs or so (you will most likely be over weight) and 29' that you will be faced with.

A good chunk of my travels were in the mountains of BC, Alberta, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and California. Power for the hills was never an issue, but in certain conditions, I was aware that my truck was just a half ton. Cross winds and passing semis moved me around because the truck was relatively light, and I had to anticipate what was going to happen and be aware that I would need to make corrections.

I then bought a heavier truck that pulled that same trailer with authority, and wind or semis were not an issue. Instead of "driving" the truck and correcting constantly in those conditions, the trip became so much more relaxed and at the end of the day I didn't feel like I had been working all day.

Up to you, I guess, but if I were you, I would be thinking about a ¾ ton like NanMedevac 70 has with more weight and more power. More weight to better handle the trailer movements, and more power to better handle the hills.

Safe travels whatever you decide.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a 28 foot 5000lb TT in mountains of northern California and Oregon with Ram 2500 V10 4.10 RED with great ease however I would not attempt towing same trailer in those mountains with my other Ram 1500 5.9 V8 with 3.42(?) RED.

I did tow this same trailer in flatlands of Texas with my other 2 1500 V8 rams with great ease. All three were older trucks. This may or maynot be a good comparison for you.