cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks, both the threaded rod part and the various pivot points in the mechanism?

Thanks
52 REPLIES 52

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
Always clean with WD-40, then after wiping any accumulated road grime and sludge off, use dry lubricant for anti-friction. Usually do this Spring and Fall.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
BeckyIO wrote:
My stabilizer jacks are old and rusty, I use WD-40 before I put them down and again before bringing them up.

Maybe they are rusty because you use WD-40 instead of a lubricant.

Bruce

Not sure what you are saying ... are you suggesting that WD-40 promotes (or even allows) rusting of steel parts? :h

Just went to the WD-40 site and this is what it says about their multi-purpose product:
What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product do?
WD-40 Multi-Use Product fulfills five basic functions:
1. LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
2. PENETRATES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
3. PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.
5. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40 Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

I am NOT saying that a dry lubricant might not be a superior solution, but I am just wondering at the source of your comment, especially since my experience with WD-40 is different.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40 a couple times a year. Works great as a lubricant for my needs.

4Powells
Explorer
Explorer
Spray dry lube. Our stabilizers were squeaky and hard to move when we got our TT, but now they are easy and quiet after a good spraying.
DW, 2 DS's and Lily the Bishon Frisee
2006 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
BeckyIO wrote:
My stabilizer jacks are old and rusty, I use WD-40 before I put them down and again before bringing them up.

Maybe they are rusty because you use WD-40 instead of a lubricant.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
I use the same lube I use on my bicycle chain - a wax-based liquid lubricant. Works wonderfully. Doesn't pick up dust or dirt, and only put it on twice a year. Makes it much easier on the cordless drill when extending/retracting.

This sounds interesting. What is the name of the product?
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I spray them with a silicon lubricant.

Yup - the same stuff I use on the Winegard "Batwing".
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Never use them. We were sailors before RVers so the bouncing and rocking doesn't bother us. Also, our center-of-gravity is far enough aft that tipping back is not a problem. We rarely unhitch anyway.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same lube I use on my bicycle chain - a wax-based liquid lubricant. Works wonderfully. Doesn't pick up dust or dirt, and only put it on twice a year. Makes it much easier on the cordless drill when extending/retracting.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
My stabilizer jacks are old and rusty, I use WD-40 before I put them down and again before bringing them up. Still requires a good deal of elbow grease to move them but at least it's possible.
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time I use Motorcycle chain lube.
A little nasty, but it's cheap and easy to clean the threads on the stabilizer screws.

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster cleaner. Get the grease off. Grease / oil picks up sand, dirt and debris that just jambs up the Jack screw. Clean off the grease and use a dry lube.
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert stabilizer system manual says "No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system." (Lippert manual)

Makes little sense to me, especially on the steel-steel interfaces.
Regards,
Wayne
_

Since I have a super glide , I always have a can or 3 of slip plate laying around... Any type of dry lube works well...Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40