cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks, both the threaded rod part and the various pivot points in the mechanism?

Thanks
52 REPLIES 52

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
WD40 a couple times a year. Helps to prevent rust and provides a little lubrication without making them oily/greasy.

Me too.
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
firedguy wrote:
WD 40 is good for removing bird "droppings" from the hood-roof of your autos, picnic tables, camping chairs, etc.

It is also excellent for removing ink from carpet and fabric.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

firedguy
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40 is good for removing bird "droppings" from the hood-roof of your autos, picnic tables, camping chairs, etc.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 1LT trim, DRW, Duramax/Allison 6spd.
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 4slides, 40ft, 15000lbs GVWR.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
I did not intend to be dismissive or to appear to be attacking anybody. I apologize for making you feel that way. I was just limited for time and made a quick comment. I can see why you felt the way you did.
My original point was that, even though the lady always applied WD-40 to her stabilizers, the threads were rusty. I had to assume that WD-40 wasn't doing the trick. I was not intending to attack her.

Bruce

Bruce - I appreciate you taking the time to say that - thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

You also make some good points of course with respect to the firearms. Maybe that is what beemerphile1 is using his gallons for ... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I buy the stuff in gallons and use a small pump sprayer, not aerosol cans.

Thank you for making those points - saved me the trouble! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gallons?? You must be exaggerating right ...? ๐Ÿ™‚ But then you mentioned the pump sprayer and I an not so sure .... I am intrigued.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
WD-40 is a lousy lubricant. If you do a little research, you will see what I am talking about. Here's a link to an article in Popular Mechanics to get you started. Google will give you plenty of places to read as well.

Bruce

Bruce - I am aware of WD-40's limitations and I appreciate the link - interesting read. FWIW, I have WD-40 as well as several other lubricants in my garage and trailer and even in my truck. I also know the limitations and usage of each, thank you.

My question to you was to find out where you were coming from in your retort that stated her levelling jacks were probably getting rusty "because she used WD-40 instead of a lubricant".

Many would see that one line reply as dismissive and as an attack. I could also see your reply to me in a similar fashion but I will not bite on your bait. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Suffice it to say that even in your words you agree that it is a lubricant (even if lousy) and as for inhibiting rust ... well I know a thing or two about rust myself and there is not a lot that you can do to inhibit rust AND lubricate AND avoid attracting dust all at the same time.

You have a great day. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I did not intend to be dismissive or to appear to be attacking anybody. I apologize for making you feel that way. I was just limited for time and made a quick comment. I can see why you felt the way you did.

My experience with WD-40 and its ability to lubricate and protect is mainly in the realm of firearms. Those of us who use our firearms in the rain are very quick to use WD-40 to disperse any moisture from the barrels, receivers and other exposed parts while in the field and after shooting. We are also very quick to get our firearms to a place where we can then wipe off the WD-40 and coat everything with the appropriate lubricant/protectant. Those who forget this second step are usually very upset with themselves the next time they open their gun case because they find rust everywhere. Of course, there are some gun owners who think WD-40 is the perfect lubricant, but they are far outweighed by those who know better.

WD-40 may inhibit rust if it is continually applied, but it tends to dry quickly and lose its effectiveness. This is where the correct lubricant and protectant comes into play.

My original point was that, even though the lady always applied WD-40 to her stabilizers, the threads were rusty. I had to assume that WD-40 wasn't doing the trick. I was not intending to attack her.

Bruce

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Three things I always keep in the TT - WD-40, Duck Tape and a hammer. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duck tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

WD-40 is a lousy lubricant. If you do a little research, you will see what I am talking about. Here's a link to an article in Popular Mechanics to get you started. Google will give you plenty of places to read as well.

Bruce

Unfortunately that article didn't test it on stabilizers. :B It appeared to me like the author had a predetermined conclusion before they started, but they did admit that;

"Despite the final tally, WD-40 is not a complete zero. What it lacks in job-specific excellence it makes up for with across-the-board flexibility. In addition to being serviceable in a wide range of tasks...its best ability may be discouraging rust".

I buy the stuff in gallons and use a small pump sprayer, not aerosol cans. I spray the stabilizers liberally allowing the dirt and crud to run off and providing a protective coating. Works just fine for that purpose, we aren't talking about putting it into a crankcase.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

Bruce

Bruce - I am aware of WD-40's limitations and I appreciate the link - interesting read. FWIW, I have WD-40 as well as several other lubricants in my garage and trailer and even in my truck. I also know the limitations and usage of each, thank you.

My question to you was to find out where you were coming from in your retort that stated her levelling jacks were probably getting rusty "because she used WD-40 instead of a lubricant".

Many would see that one line reply as dismissive and as an attack. I could also see your reply to me in a similar fashion but I will not bite on your bait. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Suffice it to say that even in your words you agree that it is a lubricant (even if lousy) and as for inhibiting rust ... well I know a thing or two about rust myself and there is not a lot that you can do to inhibit rust AND lubricate AND avoid attracting dust all at the same time.

You have a great day. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards,
Wayne
_

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
BeckyIO wrote:
My stabilizer jacks are old and rusty, I use WD-40 before I put them down and again before bringing them up.

Maybe they are rusty because you use WD-40 instead of a lubricant.

Bruce

Not sure what you are saying ... are you suggesting that WD-40 promotes (or even allows) rusting of steel parts? :h

Just went to the WD-40 site and this is what it says about their multi-purpose product:
What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product do?
WD-40 Multi-Use Product fulfills five basic functions:
1. LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
2. PENETRATES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
3. PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.
5. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40 Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

I am NOT saying that a dry lubricant might not be a superior solution, but I am just wondering at the source of your comment, especially since my experience with WD-40 is different.

Bruce

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40 gets the job done nicely. I consider it a required tool in my TT.
Gary in Western NC

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I have some Teflon spray, but haven't yet tried it on the stabilizer jacks. Anyone have any experience using Teflon spray?

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
As already stated, WD-40 a couple times a year.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone spray
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I found a long time ago that WD-40 has to be reapplied frequently.

I use a couple of drops of straight weight motor oil in the key places you are asking about. Its coats them nicely, prevents rust, and typically lasts for a couple of years before it needs to be done again.

I know someone is going to slam this for "attracting dirt", but I've been doing this on several trailers over a 22 year period and have never had dirt be a problem. The reality is that the stabilizers are not only exposed but they are in the worst possible place on the trailer as far as exposure. No matter what you use you can't prevent dirt from getting on them unless you cover them in bags when traveling.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)