cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What does this look like on my Fiberglass?

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
my one year old tracer 2670. i just noticed this today. its up on top towards the rear bunkhouse window. its not as big as this pictures looks, its about 4 inches long.. im not sure what this is.. im alittle bit concerned... my camper is in a seasonal site about 3 hours from my dealer and i just paid somone over 200.00 last week to tow my camper here... does this look serious, or just cosmetic? it could have been here last year also... never really looked or noticed...the streaks on the side are from me running my hand over this and its not scratches... im not sure if this is a defect or if its somekind of caulking that dripped down... I have three more weeks left on the factory warranty and no way to get it to my dealer in that time...[img][/img]
7 REPLIES 7

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
yankeeslover wrote:
yeah, looks like wrinkling Francesca

Uh-oh...

Since no external solvents have come anywhere near it, and if it looks anything like the below pic, you may have a classic case of gelcoat "alligatoring". Dunno if it will spread or not, but it's definitely a manufacturing defect. Pic is from this page, where you can read all about this phenomenon.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, looks like wrinkling Francesca,the wipe marks though were caused by me... camper was dirty and I wiped my hand across... I need to clean that... im gonna just use soap and water... its not really wipe marks.... if this was wrinkling then it happened at factory somehow... I didn't cause this.. I washed it last summer, but used normal rv soap..

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Do I see surface wrinkling?

If so, that along with what look like "wipe marks" would indicate to me that someone wiped some solvent across that surface that dissolved part of the composite skin. Maybe someone trying to REMOVE a splash of calk used the wrong stuff to do it? Since it's so small, it may have happened at the factory/dealer and you just didn't spot it until now.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all... I will try this weekend...its really small... im just afraid that if it is some kind of blemish or scratches/cracks that this will lead to leaking issues in the future...other then that, its really hard to see, and not a concern..i just don't want it to leak if these are cracks..thanks

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Use some mineral spirits it should come off

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is it's caulking residue. I'd hit it with some wax and elbow grease to see if it takes it off.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer