cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is best way to sell our travel trailer?

KatrinaB
Explorer
Explorer
We are nearing the end of our epic trip across the USA (5,500 miles so far. We will have done 6,000 by the time we are done) and will be landing in Port Jervis, New York. We would like to sell our 2001 Tahoe by Thor 30MS travel trailer and wonder if it is best to try and consign it somewhere or post on Craigslist. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my Coachman Captiva in April for $10K. Cleaned it up, took it out a few times then took it on our epic trip to Yellowstone. Just sold it last week through Craigslist to the very first person to call on it for $10K.

I received 2 comments from the purchaser: Wow that is clean. Great pictures on Craigslist.

In the 4 week days I had it on Craigslist I received a total of 4 inquiries. 2 mentioned "Great pictures". I took down the add before the weekend. Besides taking good well lit pictures showing all aspects of the trailers and listing what has been done to it and the couple small issues I also included a picture of the floor plan from the manufactures brochure and a link to the brochure. I gave a description of what we liked about the trailer and the features we found particularly nice and why we liked the features.

So my advice, clean the trailer extremely well not just surface cleaned. Take good quality pictures with a real camera not just junky cell phone pictures. If you don't have a real camera borrow one! If you don't know how to take a decent picture find someone who does! Pictures of the floor plan really help the buyers visualize the trailer and how it will fit their needs. If a trailer does not fit the buyers needs why waste their time and your time scheduling an appointment for them to figure out it isn't what they want?

As a side note the purchaser purchased my trailer site unseen. The couple live on the east coast and had their best friend here on the west coast look at the trailer, pay for the trailer and pickup the trailer. I think my craigslist add was one of the few used trailers if not the only one to have decent well lit pictures. I can't imaging temporarily living in a 26' trailer but that is their plan.

Another side note... I am now sure I could have gotten more than my original purchase price of $10K... but I am pleased the new owners will be happy with the trailer and feel they got a good value in a used trailer. It took several hours to scrub all the bugs off the front, wax the trailer and scrub the dirt and mildew off the awning. I know all of these things sold the trailer though.

Two things to include in your Craigslist add.
1) No agents please!
2) If this add is up the trailer is available. I will take down the add when the trailer is sold.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Due to medical reasons, we also are preparing to sell our 2013 Forest River Classic triple slide. Am going to have it spit shinned in/out to increase the "Wow" factor.It's a shame as it's seen little use since new. Lots of upgrades ie: Maxxis tires. Will be turnkey. Add clothes and food and just hitch and go.
charles weidman

FINELINE
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
craigs list just be aware of the scammers . deal in cash or a trans action at the bank.

YES the element of spammers and nut cases that along with good people will contact you. I had someone want to buy the trailer from over seas who was going to send someone to pick it up and pay me when they got here but he was in a remote area where he could not call me , but he could email. So beware. Most people are not this way but like in life we have to deal with them on Craigslist

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
craigs list just be aware of the scammers . deal in cash or a trans action at the bank.

FINELINE
Explorer
Explorer
I sold 2 trailers past few years on Craigslist. As other say list any issues. I always made sure my units were spotless in and out. The people I sold to took mine very fast. They always said do you know how hard it is to find a unit that's clean and doesn't smell?
Mine were garage kept and looked like new. 1 was 10 years old and I got above what the value by 2 grand because it was spotless clean in and out. The rubber roof was also bright white. If you don't go through the cleaning process it will take awhile to sell it, if its older it will not stand out as a bargain if its not spotless as you can make it. Don't ask more then its worth, check NADA for rvs to get a idea what the units worth good luck!

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the Craigslist idea with some other bits of advice. Do not use an email address for contact, phone number only. I'll also spell out part of the phone number (i. e. 444-555-12 Three Four) so the scamming/spamming software used by losers doesn't pick up the number. Another thing I'll state is for "No texts". This way you usually only get serious callers. Accept only cash or cashier's checks that you can verify. Be complete and honest in your ad, price it right and it should sell quickly.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Bear has it right all the way down the line.

The best way to kill a sale is to claim your rig is state that it's a ten when it's really a six.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist if you don't mind showing it. Put lots of photos, a true description of the condition and any problems, be sure to post the price otherwise you may get a lot of calls plus some folks won't bother with an ad unless it shows a price.

For safety sake make sure you have someone with you when a prospective buyer comes to see it. One stays out of sight while the other negotiates...work out a signal in case the police need to be called.

If you don't want to show it find a consignment lot where you can park it. Be sure to get the marketing plan in writing (What are they going to do to advertise and sell your unit). Check the ads they place for accuracy.
Consignment lots will charge 20 to 30% of the final sale price for their service. If you get a good one it makes for a very easy way to sell.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I swear by Creigslist. sold my first funfinder in 2 hours after I listed it on a Monday afternoon. Make sure your trailer is CLEAN and everything works. Price it right. You will get some prank calls but weed them out. I listed the guy next door his camper and he had it sold before he got home. Did I tell you to make sure its CLEAN and everything works. Nice thing about Creigslist its FREE.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist, if you have the patience to show it. Price it good, it will be gone soon.