cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's with the ridgey exterior walls on the Jayco TTs?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Why would they use the ridgey outside walls like that? It looks like it would create more wind resistance and be less aerodynamic. Also looks tough to keep clean! I have seen old TTs with dirt in every groove.
116 REPLIES 116

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I have not studied the new trailers .
I own a 2002 Komfort 21T and a 2002 diesel GMC extracab short box pickup both ordered new . I have no need to look further . Both have held up exponentially better than their predecessors .
The Komfort has CORRUGATED PAINTED ALUMINUM SIDING .
It still shines just like a full body paint motorhome .
In 2002 the aluminum sided trailer was 400 pounds lighter than the identical " smooth sided fibreglass " trailer , which was not full body paint .
Komfort built that 21T on a 6 inch tall steel frame , it was 7280 # gvw on the axles with a light weight of 4800 # and a typical loaded weight of about 5300-5500 #.
We only have 2 lane US hiways here in the Cascade Mountain Range and I wanted a trailer that handled very well on 45 mph curves .
I opted for the 400 # weight savings for that reason .
I wash the corrugated siding after every campout with a 10 " soft bristle brush on a 7 foot handle . I use palmolive soap in a HOT bucket of water ,
My motorhome had the smooth sides so I know I could wash faster with the smooth sides .
I store under a 3 side shed . My 2002 Komfort still looks new , has had no issues with delam or denting .

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
I quit reading on this thread yesterday way back about page 6...seems to have taken on a life of it's own. And not necessarily a civilized one in a few cases. Be nice.

Personal opinion is that it's just a choice, whether price-wise, appearance preference or other. Doesn't necessarily mean one is superior and the other a POC.

My dear cousin and DH had a KZ for many years and just sold it. They are looking to replace within the next year - sooner if she gets her wish. They are looking at a Jayco with the "ridgey" exterior because he says that living in the Houston area and having to store outside, that exterior holds up better than the smooth side. Don't know if that's accurate, don't care. It's their preference. Our preference was a Rockwood smooth side.

Heaven help us all if this turns into "which is the best tire". Just have a nice holiday weekend and be safe.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer
For those calling an ML350 tow vehicle "elitist", I went ahead and checked out the "real mans" tow vehicle option...a Chevy Truck.
I looked for the following options
Smallest Diesel engine, with AWD/FWD -Silverado 2500HD
Seating for 5 "crew cab"
Safety features (air bags all around, backup sensors)
Factory nav, GPS, heated seats (we ski a lot).
Did not pick most of the dealer installed options, just the basics needed to get the above. Price?
A mind bending $59,400, or MORE than I paid for my new ML.
Wow, those truck drivers sure are wealthy elititsts!
Yes, you can argue at some people buy the truck for work (like I did). You can argue that you can't compare the two, since the Duramax diesel gets 68% better torque, with an engine 2.2x the size and 40% worse mileage. But you can't argue that it's 60k...for a Chevy truck.
As I said, I bought my TV because it suited MY needs, and has a respectable towing capacity that can handle a nice trailer. Now I just need to find a trailer to fit my needs (and to circle back to the OP), stick and ridgy tin construction ain't ever going to cut it!)

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
It all boils down to:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

So true. Is that in the Bible or from Mike Brady (father Brady Bunch)?
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
It all boils down to:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
Ha, this is so far off topic from the original question.

Therefore I'm thinking we should rename this thread. Like, "What's with the Ridgey Troll?" Or, "What's with the Sticks and Bricks Exterior Walls for Residential Construction", or "What's with that Ridgey Pickup Truck you Drive", or "Whew, What's with all you DIY'ers". Those are just some thoughts, I'm sure there are others.

LOL!!! You are right!! It has gone waaaaaaaay off topic!! So much so that I have quit reading it for the most part!

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, this is so far off topic from the original question.

Therefore I'm thinking we should rename this thread. Like, "What's with the Ridgey Troll?" Or, "What's with the Sticks and Bricks Exterior Walls for Residential Construction", or "What's with that Ridgey Pickup Truck you Drive", or "Whew, What's with all you DIY'ers". Those are just some thoughts, I'm sure there are others.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a k2500 sub. I haul whatever/whenever in the rear of it from bloody deer to firewood.
Full front to rear husky liners!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Also I never read anything about this site being a conservative site this site is a neutral site whenever it comes to political things we don't discuss politics etc. on this forum but since you brought it up I am a conservative fiscally and socially I have some liberal views socially. nobody fits in a box including yourself.

Beating people up for their choices is simply bullying.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Using the word conservative isn't always an adjective describing politics. It can also be describing a thought or behavior. Most people here try to do things for themselves and do not like relying on others to do it for them. That is a conservative behavior. Many think it's uncalled for, to take your camper in for repair, if the repair can be done at home with little money and materials.

Now when someone comes on here and offends by insulting a persons purchase choice, insults their preference for shopping, insults and makes fun of the vehicle they drive, then goes on to insinuate how much better they are by shopping at designer stores, driving expensive foreign cars, and going on how their homes and neighbors homes are better than others, YES, I take issue with that.

I have a lot of very very wealthy friends and family and none act like they are better and insult others way of life. I honestly thought this guy had to be a troll after reading so many of his posts insult and put down other's choices without reason. Who would actually think someone would act like this???

Well on another post I did state I might be wrong about the troll, then recommended that the delivery of his statement could be toned down and stated in another inoffensive way.

I'm quite shocked that you found his behavior acceptable. I would had never thought that of you.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
gmwphotos, like I was saying in layman's terms that most people can understand (like myself, as I'm not in the business)

"120 - 130 pounds per square inch. And that's vacuum pressure, not clamping"

I don't know anything about atmospheric measures or atmospheric pressures.

So, did I answer your questions?

Thanks,

WoodGlue

....yes indeed. Questions have been answered.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
gmwphotos, like I was saying in layman's terms that most people can understand (like myself, as I'm not in the business)

"120 - 130 pounds per square inch. And that's vacuum pressure, not clamping"

I don't know anything about atmospheric measures or atmospheric pressures.

So, did I answer your questions?

Thanks,

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised at some of your behavior on this forum. I daily drive a Lincoln Town Car, does that make me an elitist? There is diversity everywhere folks. I am a home owner and as my kids get older I find myself hiring out more and more work to be done around the house.

Not everyone wants or needs a truck. Not everyone is like you all. I have historically preferred cars my entire life. I have also had a passion for hunting, hunting and cars? Yes they actually fit together. You just have to Hike a distance lol.

As far as truck needs are concerned I actually own a little red utility trailer that is much easier to load then a truck bed.
One more little thing you guys are driving $35-$50,000 trucks I believe that if you compare price tags between the Mercedes-Benz and your truck you are going to find that they are not that much different in price.

Also I never read anything about this site being a conservative site this site is a neutral site whenever it comes to political things we don't discuss politics etc. on this forum but since you brought it up I am a conservative fiscally and socially I have some liberal views socially. nobody fits in a box including yourself.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

X2

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I'm surprised at some of your behavior on this forum. I daily drive a Lincoln Town Car, does that make me an elitist? There is diversity everywhere folks. I am a home owner and as my kids get older I find myself hiring out more and more work to be done around the house.

Not everyone wants or needs a truck. Not everyone is like you all. I have historically preferred cars my entire life. I have also had a passion for hunting, hunting and cars? Yes they actually fit together. You just have to Hike a distance lol.

As far as truck needs are concerned I actually own a little red utility trailer that is much easier to load then a truck bed.
One more little thing you guys are driving $35-$50,000 trucks I believe that if you compare price tags between the Mercedes-Benz and your truck you are going to find that they are not that much different in price.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
I'm starting to think we have a troll.

First, who in the world would be proud of needing to pay someone to do the yard work he should be doing and use the excuse, I'm not into construction.

Then come off as a pompous elitists, snob and say that there's no travel trailer good enough for him???

Then goes on to say how he's to good for trucks and must have a ride that's so cushy, that he'll think he's being cuddled by mom.

Then come on say how Walmart is beneath him, that he needs his designer food stores that overprice so he can feel he's special shopping there??

Now does anyone know a MAN that would admit, let alone announce this to anyone or on a public board???

I think this guy is nothing but a troll trying to cause a stir in a somewhat conservative working class forum.

Yeah, he's made a lot of comments and doesn't seem to be able to change his socks without letting everyone know what color he choose or where they came from.

He has several threads going but on retrospect the question he asked and comments on this thread should have been worded differently.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides