cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What should I do?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, here is my situation. I can't find the TT I want here in Texas, because the simply do not exist here. I am looking for a used Outdoor RV TT in a bunkhouse model. The only place I can find these is in the Northwestern states of Washington, Oregon and Idaho, mostly. There are a few scattered around some other states, but not in the models I want. Now, I was already planning on going up to Washington (via Arizona and California) to visit friends (which is what I wanted the trailer for), so I am headed to the right area, but I have a lot of traveling to do before I get there. I will be looking for what I want along the way as well.

So here is my problem and my question. I traded for a small 2013 Jayco Swift with my mom and dad that they did not need. So now I have something to use until I find the TT I want along the way or up north. But now I have a new problem. How do I work the title transfer? If go ahead and transfer the title into my name in Texas, it will be three weeks to a month before I get the new title back; which will be too late for me since I will be back in Texas by then.

So what do I do? My intention, is to trade this Jayco in on the TT I want once I get up to where there are some to look at. But can I do that if the title is not in my name? I have the title signed by my father, but will a dealer accept a signed title, if it is not in my name. Is that even legal to do? So I am caught in a legal quandary. I am hoping someone out there might know a solution.
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
21 REPLIES 21

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully whatever dealer in whatever state you end up trading it in will actually accept the POA. They don't HAVE to accept it, but it would obviously result in a lost sale.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:
Just though I would update you on this and let you know I found a solution. Who, know it might be helpful to someone else down the road that is my situation. So I went down to the DMV and talked to them. They had a solution. They sold me a 30 day tag and gave me a Power of Attorney document to have my parents sign, giving me the power to transfer their TT.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds nice and simple. Good luck finding you new TT
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Just though I would update you on this and let you know I found a solution. Who, know it might be helpful to someone else down the road that is my situation. So I went down to the DMV and talked to them. They had a solution. They sold me a 30 day tag and gave me a Power of Attorney document to have my parents sign, giving me the power to transfer their TT.

Thanks for the help.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all those that have offered advice. I have no idea where I am going to find the TT I want along my way. It most likely will be a dealer, but also might be a private party if they have what I want (In which case I will try to quick sale the Jayco). I will be looking all along the way in every city and rv park I stay in.

I called in late Friday and talked with my local county tax assessors office where you register cars and TTs here in Texas. They did not know the answer. I will go down on Monday in person to ask again. I think the only solution is if they offer some sort of Quick Title or a Expedited title service I can pay extra for. Something like the passport office offers.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The only place I can find these is in the Northwestern states of Washington, Oregon and Idaho, mostly. There are a few scattered around some other states, but not in the models I want. Now, I was already planning on going up to Washington (via Arizona and California) to visit friends (which is what I wanted the trailer for), so I am headed to the right area, but I have a lot of traveling to do before I get there. I will be looking for what I want along the way as well.

Doesn't know which dealer or state yet.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Call the dealer and ask them

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner! Pretty simple. If your buying an RV from a dealer, they WILL find a way.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I didn't read the other story, but this one raised questions all by itself. Maybe you're telling the truth. It sounds like a story someone might make up if they were trying to transfer a title to their name without the original owner really giving their permission.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking along the lines of notarized official receipt.

As far as i understand, that's the 'dealer release form' . That's why i suggested to contact the title person at the dealership to confirm.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
BINGO!

It's like you guys live to find something to criticize other people about.

There is probably a type of form you can have notarized to use along with the title. My son lives in Texas, I bought an rv for him in a different state. He signed and emailed a form to the dealer in the other state saying I could sign his name to buy the RV. My point is that you can do it but need to contact Tx tax office etc to see what you can take with you so you are not trying to obtain it when you are out of state.

So you need to find out what form you might need to go along with the title. I'm thinking along the lines of notarized official receipt.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Call the dealer and ask them

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an article on title skipping for vehicles.

I'd guess the same applies to travel trailers. I'd get the title transferred, expediting the paperwork if possible, pay someone to fedex/ups the completed title to your location TBD, (local UPS store etc.). Take a bill of sale (you have one from the original transaction right?) and copy of the title with you on your trip for proof of ownership. I'm guessing it won't help you make a trade, although your home DMV might provide you with paperwork showing you've applied for the title, that might help or satisfy a dealer on the other end?

title skipping
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the time between your purchase and trade-in is less than 30 days, I'd think you'd be OK with the signed title and a signed bill of sale. That's legal enough to transfer the title to you so it ought to be enough to relinquish ownership.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
yillb wrote:
Maybe he just didn't want to re-explain the complexity of meeting a stranger. He's not asking for anything other than advice, i'm not sure how that would be considered a scam?
If that were the case, he could have just gone on without making up a different story. Blatant dishonesty speaks for itself.

I was not dishonest. I do know an older couple that live in RV park and that is who is I am getting the Jayco from. My mom and dad are the older couple that live in the RV park. I just phrased it in impersonal manner to avoid what happened I made a personal statement about my friend in California and everyone jumped on me.

There is no lie here, it is just the difference of an impersonal and personal statement. Both are completely true statements. My mistake that I forgot to keep this question impersonal, and that led to you thinking that I was not being honest. And here we go again, getting off track from what my question is. It's like you guys live to find something to criticize other people about. Geez. Sorry I asked.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
Maybe he just didn't want to re-explain the complexity of meeting a stranger. He's not asking for anything other than advice, i'm not sure how that would be considered a scam?
If that were the case, he could have just gone on without making up a different story. Blatant dishonesty speaks for itself.