cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do if you have a leak?

dhaas
Explorer
Explorer
While driving home from storage with the truck camper, my son noticed water leaking from the seams of the siding under the bed. I was unaware of any lekas prior to this. Aside from the obvious of fixing potential leak points (to which there are many on this camper, as the camper has not had any maintenance done that i can tell since new in 07) what else should I do? This is the first evidence of any leaking, and the camper was/is in really great shape when I bought it a year ago from the original owner.

I will re-caulk and seal everything on this camper, but should I strip the siding off and let it dry out? Would a dehumidifier inside be enough? Its hot here now, would just leaving windows open for a while be sufficient?

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

dhaas
Explorer
Explorer
there was no other leak indication until then. Everything inside seems fine, walls feel hard, with no soft spots noted anywhere.

how do you determine where the leak is accurately? I checked all the wholes around the vents. All wood shows no evidence of leaking. Where the siding meets the EPMD roof, and the windows near the bunk would be my guess.

whats the best way to dry the inside and to make sure its dry?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not immediately start to seal now until you determine from where the leak is occurring.

Dry the inside completely as best possible.
Find the source of the leak. If, for example, it is a window then it might be prudent to perhaps remove it to inspect the full extent of the leak and how much water got in. All of this will help determine next possible steps.

I agree with Sidecar... it is sorta' like closing the gate after the horse got out by trying to perform long neglected maintenance.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gonna get my popcorn out on this one.. No maintenance since 07. Walls may have been in great shape on the outside, it's what is between the outer and inner walls that you have an issue with....

Popcorn in the microwave...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were you running your AC before towing it. There is normally some condensation especially in humid weather. I was wondering the same thing until I looked at all the water coming off other rigs with their ACs running.