Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What truck to buy next for towing Travel Trailer

Poohper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We will be buying a new truck this year for towing my TT and I want something stronger than our 2007 Ford F250 Diesel. It seems the weight we were given for the TT by the dealership is wrong and it seemed our trailer was always a little too heavy by the tongue for the F250. My husband just says as long as it pulls don't worry about it but if we are getting a new truck I want it to be right this time. I'm not sure if we will get diesel or gas next so I want to also know what most people drive towing TT's. I'm knocking out Ford trucks as I don't think they keep up with the rest. Thanks!
Pooh:R
21 REPLIES 21

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
"Somebody wants a new truck" !

I recco a new one ton dually in either King Ranch or Platinum trim. They are both very nice.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Define "Stronger" than your current truck.

If you want stiffer suspension, then a 1-ton would be helpful. If you want to accelerate quicker, than a current model (2018) gas engine will not be stronger, but a current diesel will, with more torque and exhaust brakes.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Poohper wrote:
Hi,
We will be buying a new truck this year for towing my TT and I want something stronger than our 2007 Ford F250 Diesel. It seems the weight we were given for the TT by the dealership is wrong and it seemed our trailer was always a little too heavy by the tongue for the F250. My husband just says as long as it pulls don't worry about it but if we are getting a new truck I want it to be right this time. I'm not sure if we will get diesel or gas next so I want to also know what most people drive towing TT's. I'm knocking out Ford trucks as I don't think they keep up with the rest. Thanks!

I'd be real suprised if you aren't well within the towing capabilities of that truck. I pull a 32ft outback with a weight of almost 10K lbs and 1400-1500 on the hitch. On both my 04.5 Silverado duramax cc 4x4 and my 2015.5 Denali duramax cc 4x4 I am comfortably within all the ratings. There is no reason to believe your 2007 wouldn't be similar. All this is ASSUMING you are using a WD hitch, which you MUST use with the big a trailer. Otherwise you will likely be well over the weight carrying limit of the truck reciever. they are often rated in the 750lb or less weight carrying but 1500+ lbs weight distributing.

you might want to either yourselves or someone who knows WD hitches go over your setup and make sure it is set up properly. Hint.... most trailer dealerships do NOT set WD hitches up properly. usually way to light on the bar tension.

So....... I'd do some checking before jumping ship. And power wise again the 2007 should be just fine for towing. Heck it has more HP than my 04.5 did and that truck would easily 6% grades at the speed limit.

Now if you really want a new truck, go look at all of them and decide which one YOU like best. Your going to be using it, not someone else. And really all 3 make very good trucks now, IMHO it's more personal preference than anything else. Our son has work trucks, has a silverado as his own, truck had a dodge and now a ford work truck. he can list likes and dislikes on all 3 for what HE wants. But as he says, they all are good trucks.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with carringb. I would make sure your weight distribution hitch is properly adjusted because your current truck should be enough. But if a new truck is on the menu I would look into a Ram tradesman dually. About 10 to 15k cheaper than either Chevrolet or Ford and just as reliable. That will be the route I am going to go. Just my opinion.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
An F250 should be plenty for a 33 ft Springdale. If anything, maybe the hitch needs adjusting?

Now, if you're Teton a new trick anyways, what you have now is irrelevant. But a new F250 would handle it with ease, as they have more payload than yours and far more power and torque.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Poohper
Explorer
Explorer
OOP's sorry! We have a 2007 Keystone Springdale Travel Trailer about 33 Ft long.
Pooh:R

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you need to give more facts about the TT you wish to tow before anyone will give you a good answer