cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Bearings on a 7 year old pop-up - Shuld I?

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I bought a 2008 used pop-up from the original owner, witch claim that he only use it 7 times (300 miles trips) then his wife decided that it is time to move to a 24f TT if he want to continue camping... (was not her cup of tea)

Lats year we went camping 3 times (150 miles round trips) BUT this year I wish to do a 2000 mile round trip!

Beside getting new tires and greasing the hubs, do I need to take the hubs apart and inspect the wheel Bearings, or I am just over paranoid?
How often to you need to replace wheel Bearings?

BTW: I don't know if that info matter, but I Don't have drum brakes in my Pop-up.

Thanks
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH
24 REPLIES 24

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I clean, repack , check the brake shoes about twice a year. Moisture has an effect on the bearings as well as miles and sitting can and will cause the grease to harden. I also have a set of bearings and seals already packed and ready to install if needed.I figure that would be better than having to leave the PUP, boat trailer etc. along side of the road while looking for parts. Of course this is my opinion and my method.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'd clean, inspect and repack the bearings before your long trip. Sure, you might get away with pouring 90w gear oil in the cap (I have NEVER heard of this before) or you might wind up on the side of the road with a burned up bearing. Re packing is ridiculously easy and, if the bearing is in good condition, can be done for the price of a new seal and some grease. Why cheap out on something like this and risk messing up your vacation?

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i rotate tires and grease my hubs on my boat trailer every spring.its going on 50 thousand and still originals.i do over 6k a year and most of it is freeway miles at 100 km/h.and a good dunk in the lake at the final destination.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does it look like the next time you inspect them? It's soft and runny about like honey. I also do not buy new tires (especially ST) for them as they rot before I wear them out. Best is a 2-3 year old used set of LT takeoffs from a Chevy 2500 PU.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
....If the grease is old and hard I put some 90 weight gear oil in the cap and put it back on quickly.

Need more info (interesting)...What does it look like the next time you inspect them?

To OP... I would bring a spare bearing and cup and take the temps being to you don't have any drum brakes.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I had my 2008 Starcraft OFF-ROAD TRAILER done around the 4 year mark. They looked perfect then. I always feel the hubs when on the road when we make stops along the way. Never got hot on me...

One of my wheels gets inspected every year for play when I get the INSPECTION STICKER put on.

If you do it yourself or have it done be sure to NOT to get any grease on the electric brake assembly. Pretty close quarters there...

Roy Ken

I really like your off road pop-up, you should post more pics in the show your pop-up thread 🙂

My pop-up didn't come from the manufacturer with electric brakes (too light) so I am not so worry about that.
Thanks.
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my 2008 Starcraft OFF-ROAD TRAILER done around the 4 year mark. They looked perfect then. I always feel the hubs when on the road when we make stops along the way. Never got hot on me...

One of my wheels gets inspected every year for play when I get the INSPECTION STICKER put on.

If you do it yourself or have it done be sure to NOT to get any grease on the electric brake assembly. Pretty close quarters there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I own a bunch of different trailers and have not even repacked bearings much less replaced in years. I do jack the axle and wiggle the tire to check the amount of play in the bearings when my IR temp gun shows it's hotter than the other wheel bearings. If it's got excessive play I'll tighten when I pull the cap off to look at the grease. If the grease is old and hard I put some 90 weight gear oil in the cap and put it back on quickly. Only been doing this for 40 years. Your mileage may vary.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
easy job then you know there greased and clean, IF you,ve never done this? don,t over tighten the nut.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably not have to replace the wheel bearings but they should be taken out cleaned and packed and then replaced properly. Not that the miles are all that long but time breaks down everything even grease. So it's an easy job pick a nice sunny day put on the radio and clean and pack them you won't be sorry you did. JMO