cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel hubs running hot

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I have repacked the bearings on our TT before our last trip (200 miles one way) and noticed when we got back that passenger side hubs were rather warn. Driver side - cool as a cucumber. I pulled the wheels off, cleaned everything again, repacked, reseated, etc. and drove around and they're still running warm. Yesterday, while chatting with a friend about it, he mentioned too much weight being on that side. The only thing I can think of is that my WDH is putting more pressure on one side of TT than the other - I tried a couple of changes lately and I'm afraid I need to reset it all again. Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a possibility?
11 REPLIES 11

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I lived in Yuma and worked for McDonnell Douglas Flight Test. Pretty big money to pass up just because people's windshield explode from the 119 degree on the asphalt heat. But it's a dry heat at only 101 and 40% humidity today you barely can sweat!

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
R side usually runs hotter cuz it's the steepest sloped part of a road. Mine will be hot on a rough 2 lane but if you can hold the BACK of your hand to it it's not too hot unless you are in AZ in 120 degree heat and the road temp is 150 or so and the asphalt is melting, then don't touch it at all!
My new car Aint! http://newatlas.com/mercedes-g-63-amg-6x6/26675/#p205975

When it's 120 in AZ with 150+ road temps you'll find me driving in Washington or Oregon. I save Arizona for times when the rest of the country is covered in ice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
R side usually runs hotter cuz it's the steepest sloped part of a road. Mine will be hot on a rough 2 lane but if you can hold the BACK of your hand to it it's not too hot unless you are in AZ in 120 degree heat and the road temp is 150 or so and the asphalt is melting, then don't touch it at all!
My new car Aint! http://newatlas.com/mercedes-g-63-amg-6x6/26675/#p205975

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention that I had a bad magnet that would not engage.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
It may be that the warm side is doing most of the braking. If checking temps shortly after coming to a stop, you should not have any "cool as a cucumber" hubs.

Jerry

agreed. After pulling into a rest area or other stop area from freeway speeds check the brake drums (hubs) . they should all be warm and about the same temperature. If one or more is much hotter or colder than the rest, that indicates a tight or loose brake adjustment.

you should be able to do this with your hand. they should be warm, but not to hot for a quick check unless you have been using the brake for a long downhill stop before pulling into a rest area or a stop.

If side is much differnt than the other, is the cool side the side opposite the main electric brake feed from the tongue? If so, you could either have a broken feed between the sides, or very often the wire gauge for the cross feed isn't that large and there may be enough voltage drop to affect the brake balance.

I redid the brake wiring for our trailer, dedicated 12ga feed to each side. made a big difference in braking performance.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Check your brake wiring for bad connections. Maybe only part of the brakes are engaging and over working. I had that happen. The brake adjustment would be a valid reason as mentioned.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Mine run 90-100 degrees F although one still has the self-adjusting brake and runs 130. Went to 435 degrees F when a bearing failed. Sounds like you just have brake shoes dragging a bit.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys. I'll check the brakes and see if maybe the ones on the hotter side are sticking or closer than the driver side.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It may be that the warm side is doing most of the braking. If checking temps shortly after coming to a stop, you should not have any "cool as a cucumber" hubs.

Jerry

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a IR temp gun because sun on one side or another and to be more accurate. Anyways I couldn't figure out why one wheel was running hot for lonest time. About 30 degrees hotter than the others. One day had a long off ramp and was up hill a little. Came to complete stop without using brakes. After taking temps my problem wheel wasn't any hotter than the others. Re-adjusted brakes solved problem.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
How much hotter? Was the sun on that side? Are the brakes adjusted closer on that side? All brakes getting equal voltage? Where did the cotter pins end up, are those bearings running with too much preload on them? Seems unlikely that the arms would influence it that much.