cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMP service to select

barbrude
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting close to purchasing our first travel trailer and have finally figured out the best size, weight, style for our needs but now a new question has presented itself that has us rather stumped. Should we go with 30 amp or 50 amp service? Our trailer of choice is a Winnebago One 26RK with a 15k btu air conditioner. 50 amp seems like the logical choice but are we missing something? any help will be greatly appreciated!
32 REPLIES 32

westend
Explorer
Explorer
50 Amp service is the better of the two. I would hope that the shore power cord is included with the larger service, the 50 amp cords are expensive.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
50A is the simple answer, but I have done something similar to what pianotuna has done and now have dual 30A service and carry a 50A to dual 30A dogbone. My OEM 30A service powers all the normal stuff and does just fine, but I can't run all three of my high amperage items (A/C, microwave, WH on electric) at the same time, but that's minor since the switch for the WH is within arms reach of where the microwave is and there is always the LP option for the WH. My second 30A service feeds two 15 dual outlets located where I plug in all my "extra" electrical goodies like space heaters, coffee pot, toaster/convection oven, etc.

I always ask for 50A service, but there will be times when only 30A is available and then I just have to put up with strict adherence to good energy management and we get by just fine.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
RV’s have long outgrown the 30 amp service, just as they have outgrown the old 15 amp service years ago…

The RV industry doesn’t like change, they are still using outdated brakes from the 50’s on most trailers to…

the converter will draw a lot more than 1 to 3 amps when it goes into the charging mode... you can't schedule the loads, you can only not use them to manage your power consumption... there will be very few good reasons to choose 30A…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the 50 amps if I have a choise. Most times the 50 amp has less damage to the plug, and you are better off. You will not have to wait to cook toast if you are running the 12 amp coffee maker and 12 amp microwave at the same time.

You can run the refrigerator on electric - 3 amps,
Converter - 1 to 3 amps
Toaster - 8 - 10 amps
Hair dryer - 12 amps
Air conditioner - 13 amps on a 80Fday and upwards of 17 amps on a 105F day

And if you camp in the winter, you should be able to run 2-3 heaters on 1,500 watt mode if you have a 50 amp service, only 2 on a 30 amp service, and you will have to watch your other loads, such as the electric water heater.

I think all RV's should come with a 50 amp service.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
obgraham wrote:
If your RV has 50 amp, you can always use 30 amp instead. But:
If your RV has 30 amp, you cannot use 50 amp service when available.

Actually if you have a 50A rig you can plug into a 30A with a 30A to 50A adapter

Ah...but if you have a 30A rig you can also plug into a 50A with a 50A to 30A adapter

Heck you can even get an adapter to go from 50A to a 30A AND 15A
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi obgraham,

Actually it is fairly easy to make modifications use more than 30 amps in a 30 amp RV. One caveat, do not void your warranty on a brand new RV.

It just takes a little creative thinking. I've added two auxiliary shore power cords in addition to the oem 30 amp. I also have a "break out box" that allows me to connect all three cords at once to a 50 amp service. That gives me access to the equivalent of 65 amps. If I then add my inverter to the mix I have an additional 21 amps on a temporary basis that I can use for quite some time (at least two hours), assuming the battery bank is well charged.

I do agree that OEM 30 amp may be a bit "skinny" sometimes. However, I can survive nicely with almost full capacity on even 10 amps of shore power using my first auxiliary shore power cord. I do that by powering only the converter, and running the rest of the RV from the inverter.

The other auxiliary shore power cord powers the electric water heater.

obgraham wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
sch911 wrote:
If your planning on adding the second A/C then yes for sure. Otherwise it's really not needed....

I totally disagree with this statement, and personal first hand experience proves this statement wrong. There are other large electric load appliances on board a modern RV other than the A/C. Add up the ampere load and you will see it is easy to exceed 30 amps.

A/C= running 12 amps starting 25 amps
water heater= 12 amps
converter= 2 amps
refrigerator= 4 amps
microwave= 10 amps

You can disagree all you want but the fact is MOST TT's don't even offer 50A as an option. The TT, HTT, 5er and even most smaller MH's still have standard 30A service. And magically everything works! I've owned most all of them and never had a problem!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

barbrude
Explorer
Explorer
You folks have been most helpful, many thanks from a couple of newbies!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:

I agree.

To say it another way; a 50A RV will anything a 30A RV will do when connected to 30A service, but a 50A RV will do LOTS more on 50A service than a 30A RV will.

There is NO downside to a 50A RV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

I would select 50 Amp Service. If a CG doesn't have 50 Amp Service spots available, I'd park in a 30A spot. Then, use a 30 to 50 Amp conversion cable. And, only use minimum electrical loads. Thus, allowing "both worlds" - when its available. It would be a shame to buy 30A, then wished one bought 50A afterwards….

If wondering, 30A post to 50A RV cable for < $20 at - Click Here -

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Electric/gas on hot water heater is on my 30 amp unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Go for the 50amp service and get the electric/gas option on the hot water heater, probably not offered with the 30amp.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If your planning on adding the second A/C then yes for sure. Otherwise it's really not needed....

I totally disagree with this statement, and personal first hand experience proves this statement wrong. There are other large electric load appliances on board a modern RV other than the A/C. Add up the ampere load and you will see it is easy to exceed 30 amps.

A/C= running 12 amps starting 25 amps
water heater= 12 amps
converter= 2 amps
refrigerator= 4 amps
microwave= 10 amps

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
You would be very wise to order the 50 amp service and there is really no reason not to. If you camp where it is not available, then a simple adapter will work just fine.

You will find that you can very easily trip a 30 amp breaker, and probably will to the point it becomes a nuisance. With the A/C on, the water heater and refrigerator on electric, and then you use the microwave and almost always the 30 amp breaker will trip. During the colder weather, using an electric heater or two will also cause the 30 amp breaker to trip. Save yourself a lot of aggravation- get 50 amp service.