cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

which brake controller is most preffered

merwood
Explorer
Explorer
My truck dealership installed mine and it is a Towing Partner brand and can't seem to get adjusted properly. I followed directions by the book .
56 REPLIES 56

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
merwood wrote:
installed p3 drove 1.5 hours for warranty service love it works really well thanks for advice

Good deal, I'm glad you like it!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

merwood
Explorer
Explorer
installed p3 drove 1.5 hours for warranty service love it works really well thanks for advice

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Maxbrake was a small company... two brothers. One was the engineer guy and the other was the sales guy.

Their business greatly slowed with the OEM controllers being common.

Maxbrake is still around, but near impossible to contact. You need one of the brothers cell numbers. They did provide their cell numbers to the distributors (ie: plug it right) for warranty issues.

I sold my max brake on ebay a while back for $200.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the Maxbrake was pricey but in the scheme of things,if you pay over 20K for a TT and 25K for a TV, then $300 to protect your investment seems like a good choice. Too bad its not made anymore, it is still one of the few true "progressive" controllers out there. Lets just hope I don't need any repairs on it.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
If your happy with what you've got and it works for you what difference does it make what brand it is? Clearly the P2 or P3 are the most popular, or at least the most vocal, on here. Are they the best, your guess is as good as mine.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
....and some things, even though they cost less money, may "do the job" even better than the most costly item. ...just sayin'.....:E

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
ZeeLet50 wrote:
I got mine from Plugitright.com. Bought it in March of this year. They may have stopped carrying it but there still is a reference on their site about it however it does not appear on their store page.

I too had seen that reference on their page about it, and somewhere else I had seen that someone apprently talked to the plug-it-right folks, and they said apparently the maxbrake is out of business, but they ( plug it right ) would do what they could for any warranty issues customers might have.
One has to wonder if maxbrake just priced them selves out of the market. By all accounts of users, it is well functioning controller.

Weren't MaxBrake & Brakesmart in the $300-$400 price range? If so, that might be why vs. controllers that can be bought for as little as a quarter of the price, and the owner sees the lower cost product as doing the job.

Folks wouldn't pay the price so they went out and bought a P3 and a blow-up doll, both of which will "do the job."

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
ZeeLet50 wrote:
I got mine from Plugitright.com. Bought it in March of this year. They may have stopped carrying it but there still is a reference on their site about it however it does not appear on their store page.

I too had seen that reference on their page about it, and somewhere else I had seen that someone apprently talked to the plug-it-right folks, and they said apparently the maxbrake is out of business, but they ( plug it right ) would do what they could for any warranty issues customers might have.
One has to wonder if maxbrake just priced them selves out of the market. By all accounts of users, it is well functioning controller.

Weren't MaxBrake & Brakesmart in the $300-$400 price range? If so, that might be why vs. controllers that can be bought for as little as a quarter of the price, and the owner sees the lower cost product as doing the job.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Good marketing aside, I think folks anecdotal experience with the controllers is what drives the purchase decision. When we bought our used TV, there was a Draw Tite inertia controller in the truck. Since the fifth wheel we bought had electro-hydraulic disc brakes, I thought the Draw Tite controller might not work effectively. The P3 was relatively new on the market at the time, but based on Tekonsha's info. and posts of P3 owners I read on this Forum, I bought a P3. Haven't been disappointed. It worked well with the fifth wheel's brakes, it works well with our current TT's electric brakes. In both cases, I set it once and that was it. No further adjustment was needed.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ. Same innards as P2, P3 but w/o all the extra features. I just set it to B2 and it works great. Had nothing but problems with my Ram OEM TBC so I got the Primus IQ. Couldn't be happier. I do miss the TBC from my 2010 F150. It worked really well. More integrated feeling than the Primus.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Yep,gotta go with Maxbrake, just got one this spring so they are around. Closest thing you can get to the factory system.
Company I got it from has very good customer service. Very progressive. other than that I have heard P3 is the way to go.

Just doing a lot of searching and poking around on the net, all indications are Max Brake went out of business sometime in the summer of '13.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy P2
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb