cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which SB camper to get?

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I seem to enjoy wheeling and dealing so I go through a lot of rolling stock and RVs and fortunately I usually break even or take only a slight loss. On occasion I actually come out ahead.
Anyway, I'm back to a new Ram Cummins/Aisin CC, 4x4 SB 3500.
I'm in partners on a 30' 5th TH and have an older 21' TH that I use when staying on vacant land I own and when the 5vr isn't available.
When I want to stay in 1 place for awhile and have lots of room or take extra people I'll use the TH.
I'm more of a "traveler" and like to see the sights and only spend 1-2 nights before moving on. I don't plan on doing hard core off-road adventures but want to be able to get off the beaten path.
The Ram has the shortest bed at 6'4" so the bigger SB models look awkward and probably have more than ideal rear CG.
The AF 811 or Lance 855s would be great but I don't think I need or want the size or weight.
I thought about a pop up but like the convenience and simplicity of a small hard side.
Most of the time it will be just me with an occasional guest.
I want to be able to park pretty much anywhere, have great handling with the truck and have a simple, reliable TC.
I'm leaning toward the Lance 865 as it seems to have decent room, tank capacity, storage for a Honda 2k gen and a good market for used as well as new.
Anything I'm overlooking or other campers I should consider?
I've had the DRW and large slide out campers and if I could only have 1 RV, I would go that route, but they can get so big and heavy they defeat the purpose of simple and mobile.
I have almost 4K lbs of payload and have Stable Loads and Helwig Big Wig but want to stay with stock 18" wheels and will upgrade to 295/75/18 tires with a 4080 lb rating.
I know another option is the Wolf Creek 850 but it's wider and I believe taller than the 865.
I'm even considering the Lance 650 which would ride like a dream on my 3500.
Maybe a little small but good tank capacities and very little overhang.
Aother consideration is the Northstar 850SC for a pop up.
What do you all think?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
16 REPLIES 16

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Northern-lite Sportsman 8-11 on order for a short bed F250. Really like the open feeling of it, even though it doesn't have a slide-out. I would think it would work well on the Ram 350. It has a lower center of gravity because of its fiberglass clamshell construction.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know if the height is important to you, but lower should help with MPG. In that respect, I'd go popup, but I'd consider a Four Wheel Camper as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member