Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who checks their oil?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
After doing an oil change?
Do ya dump in the reccomended amount of oil, put the cap on, slam the hood down and takeoff?
Or do you check to make sure it reads right on the dipschtick?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
95 REPLIES 95

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
VIOC has done okay for me. I have them change the oil in the wife's Fusion. I don't want to have to dig out ramps to get under the stupid car, so they have done it since it was new. I pay attention, but so far so good. Their computer systems are not accurate, like miles between tranny service, and it always recommends a rear differential service, which doesn't exist on the FWD. The sharper guys just laugh it off with me because they know.

That being said, I wouldn't send my wife or daughter there alone, or to any of those places.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I always change my own oil. My one and only trip ever through our local Valvoline instant oil change place, the kid handed me the bill, and I noticed I was charged for six quarts of oil. I pointed out that the oil capacity was only five quarts, and was told that my van required six quarts, per the computer on his desk. The dipstick agreed with me, and he removed the extra quart with a small pump.

If you want it done right...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube and check it before I leave the store. My truck has an capacity oil pan so I want to make sure they don't just put in the recommended amount.

You are very brave. Do you ask to see the filter and assure the gasket is still on the old filter. I had someone else once change my oil and asked if he had check for the old gasket. He said yep. I said show me the filer and there is was WITHOUT a gasket. They did not charge me!!! Chris

Let’s not pretend taking your vehicle to an oil change place is it’s death sentence....
In the 100s of services I’ve had done, had one guy leave the fill plug out of the rear diff cover. That made a mess...
I’ve personally made more errors than that in the 1000s of oil changes I’ve done, so the odds are about the same?
If oil change places had a high propensity for blowing up your engine , they wouldn’t be doing millions of oil changes a year and be in business.
I do all my own personal vehicles for 2 reasons. $ and convienence. I’ll pocket the extra $50-100 each oil change and have it done quicker than going to the zippy lube.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"You can trust your car, to the man that wears the star"

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:

Changing your own oil is much simpler than driving somewhere to have it done. Why would you get a shop to change your oil if thought the workers were that incompetent that they couldn't do such a simple task properly?

The ONCE was one for the few times I have ever had someone change my oil across many decades and many vehicles. I started working in service stations at 14 or 15, and could most likely count on one hand the times someone else changed my oil.

When I drove a class 8 Chevy Titan 90 I serviced the engine myself, many different boat engines gas and diesel on and on. I was weaned on Havoline oil.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube and check it before I leave the store. My truck has an capacity oil pan so I want to make sure they don't just put in the recommended amount.

You are very brave. Do you ask to see the filter and assure the gasket is still on the old filter. I had someone else once change my oil and asked if he had check for the old gasket. He said yep. I said show me the filer and there is was WITHOUT a gasket. They did not charge me!!! Chris

Changing your own oil is much simpler than driving somewhere to have it done. Why would you get a shop to change your oil if thought the workers were that incompetent that they couldn't do such a simple task properly?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I always check the dipstick, on the truck that is. I bought a new Audi last year and it doesn't have a dip stick. You check the oil with the on board computer or a phone app. I don't know if I will ever get use to that.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
LOL... Think with your dipstick Jimmy. :B

Dipstick

Dipstick 2
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wowens79 wrote:
i don't check after filling, my driveway has a pretty good slope, so it would not be accurate, but if I put 6 in, it is where it should be.

My dad did fire protection design work for power plants, and found out that they did not change the oil in the steam turbines, that they ran for life on the same oil. He decided oil changes were just a way to get your money and decided not to do them on his Pontiac Gran Prix. Well it made it about 40k miles before the engine blew.

Lol. That’s pretty good life for no maint!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still on 9.....
How many of you are down around mesquite/Vegas?
It’s like who’s who of RVs around here!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Let’s get to 10! Cmon boys.....
Short story that’ll make you say told ya so.....
So I DID check the oil in the truck before ripping off 1100mi at 2500-2600 rpms in the ole Cummins yesterday. Dang low gears....Ya know since I hadn’t changed the oil in a year and well, seemed like the right thing to do after stirring I mean starting this thread!
Dang, she was almost 2 qts down in 4 or 5000 miles.
Woulda made it down here n back no problem, but I dumped a couple qts in for good measure!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
i don't check after filling, my driveway has a pretty good slope, so it would not be accurate, but if I put 6 in, it is where it should be.

My dad did fire protection design work for power plants, and found out that they did not change the oil in the steam turbines, that they ran for life on the same oil. He decided oil changes were just a way to get your money and decided not to do them on his Pontiac Gran Prix. Well it made it about 40k miles before the engine blew.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 18 takes 3 gallons, and turns black the next day. My 03 stayed clean, and full between oil changes at 225K miles.