cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel for there TC? How long have you had it? What TC do you have? What’s are some of the must haves to keep it chugging along happily with TC on top?

Cheers
112 REPLIES 112

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
A picture from the last trip we took in the 1995 F350. October, 2010 in California, and this was taken on a twisty road between Caliente and Bodfish. The boss lead us there because it’s such a scenic and challenging route loved by............motorcyclists. She missed the motorcycle part.

Loaded with gear for a 2-3 week trip, it weighed about 12,700.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I went with these tires, they are working great so far, especially in 4x4:
General Grabber A/TX - #04508440000
All Terrain Truck SUV
Size: LT235/85R16
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Jtime wrote:
mellow wrote:
I hate the picture capabilities of this site.
Here is mine:

Dang!! Which model is that TC and what’s your camping weight?

Lance 1191 that is in my signature. Camping weight as in full of water for offgrid camping like I do? Not going to get the weight police going on that one, I am heavy which is why I upgraded to a DRW.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Jtime wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
And almost none of it has anything to do with a truck camper

So is about 90% of this forum replies.
At least less trolling than usual and I'd say the topic was pretty constructive.

I agree lol. Which tires does everyone run on your duallys or which would you recommend?

The 7.3’s came with 16” inch rims is it worth the extra coin to jump up into a 18 or 20?

I would be concerned about the clearance in the front wheel wells making that big a jump in size. The turning radius is already bad for these trucks, if bigger tires rub in a turn, it’s going to make that worse. There’s also the question of increasing the unsprung weight with the bigger tires and wheels. That can have a negative affect on the braking performance, especially with the rear drum brakes if yours has them.

There are tire options in 16” size that have higher ratings than OEM. Michelin XPS Traction is one, but I know there are others that are probably going to be easier to find. The XPS traction is turning into a rare bird, and there are only two sizes still made.

The least expensive way to get higher rated wheels is to just buy six steel Accuride wheels that were made for the E450 vans of the same year. If you want great looks too, get four Alcoa’s and two Accuride wheels. Whatever you get, make sure the wheels are hub-centric, not lug-centric. No eight to ten lug adapters either.

Rscconrad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 97 350 auto. Still stock with the exception of helper springs and air bags. 180k.

Thinking about a new one but even with 25 years, still wonder if I will regret it. Recently switched from a real lite truck camper to a fifth wheel. That truck is rock solid. At 150k I replaced all the bolt ons with a bearing as a preventative measure after I lost the original alternator.

Most likely going to get a 2022 and an arctic fox to go with it. We will see.

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
ticki2 wrote:

At least less trolling than usual and I'd say the topic was pretty constructive.

I agree lol. Which tires does everyone run on your duallys or which would you recommend?

The 7.3’s came with 16” inch rims is it worth the extra coin to jump up into a 18 or 20?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah there’s some fishy info being thrown out in here... I appreciate all the good answers and info. Also don’t be shy post a pictures of your 7.3’s camp ready! And how heavy was your setup?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3 Powerstroke was first available in mid-year 1994, so it is usually said to have started in 1994-1/2. I remember there was a period of time when you could order a new truck with either the old 7.3 IDI, or the new 7.3 PS. I was so envious, because I was still driving a 1984 F250 with the original IH 6.9L Diesel. And when I say “IH” I mean it was still International Harvester then. It even had the IH logo cast in the intake manifold somewhere.

I liked my 1995 F350 a lot, and dumped a bunch of money into it making it a pretty decent camper hauler. I thought it was fairly reliable, but like a lot of long-term 7.3 owners I got good at recognizing a CPS failure, and then replacing it on the side of the road, learning to hate the dual-mass clutch in the ZF tranny (not Getrag unless you swapped it out of some junky old Dodge), finding out the hard way that LUK clutches were junk, deleting the back pressure valve that would stick closed, adding pillar gauges and 4-way flip chips, ........and......and........and

And just for old-times sake, this was taken the day I sold it.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
burningman wrote:
I’ve got a Gear Vendors OD. It’s awesome but it won’t give you twelve gears.
You have to be going almost 20 mph to use it, so it’s oil pump is operating.
You only use it with the upper gears.
I have 4.10 gears and the GV drops my 60 MPH cruise from 2000 RPM down to 1500.
It makes 4.10 effectively 3.20.

That's good info to know. I doubt I would need or want to split the lower gears anyway. I know it also doesn't work in 4WD, but that's not going to be an issue.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

specta
Explorer
Explorer
So someone posts that they still run and love their old 7.3 and it turns into a bashing and comparison to the new 6.7.

Seems like just about every thread goes south for some reason. :S
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

And it can sustain full power for extended periods every bit as well as a 7.3.
The main reason a 7.3 can do that is it came detuned for low power, so it was understressed. A 6.7 at half throttle will make what a 7.3 did.

When I had the engines in different truck configurations, I used 7.3l in F450 for heavy hauling.
I had it at WOT for about 1/2 hr climbing long I-15 grades with 100F outside.
When my 6.7l would haul 7500 lb of cargo at 1/3 of the throttle, the coolant temperature was raising. Still at safe levels, but again 1/3 of the throttle.
Would I use 6.7l at WOT, per my calculations it would pull 25,000 lb on 6% grades at 90 mph, but I doubt it would do it without overheating.
So final conclusion, when 6.7 has so much power, that WOT is seldom possible, the radiator in it is undersized for available HP.
The low power in 7.3l is self-inflicted safety net.
Since Adamis has his 7.3 chipped for more HP, it would be interesting to hear his engine cooling experience?

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Elk_traveler wrote:
A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. The International 7.3L diesel was designed from scratch as a diesel engine. The torque delivered is sustained power even under max load whereas the new Ford engines only deliver instant and temporary power and cannot be sustained which is whats make the old 7.3L a better engine to begin with for diesel power.

There’s no much misinformation and outright lies in this post I can’t believe my eyes.
Ford did not make a 392, in 1962 or ever. The 6.7 diesel has literally nothing to to with any ‘60s Ford. They are not derived from any old gas engine at all.
Ford built a 391 FT starting in ‘66. That’s the closest thing to your fictional 392 cubic FOOT (LOL) 6.7 ancestor.
can tell you more about FE and FT Ford engines than you wanna know.

I can only imagine you’re assuming that since the 6.4 was 390 cubic inches, it had anything to do with the old 390 gas Ford, which it did not.
And the 6.7 isn’t even based on the 6.4 it replaced, it’s a clean-sheet ground up new engine.

And it can sustain full power for extended periods every bit as well as a 7.3.
The main reason a 7.3 can do that is it came detuned for low power, so it was understressed. A 6.7 at half throttle will make what a 7.3 did.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 7.3, it’s relatively simple and reliable. You’re just saying things about it that are absolutely not true.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

Convert axles to 4.30 gear ratios
Install Gear Vendors overdrive. This will give me twelve possible gears, with roughly the same overall final drive ratio for cruising on the flat while giving me lower gearing for low speed backing, etc. The stock reverse gear in the 6 speed is pretty tall.
Towing chip or tune, aiming for about 300 hp/600 ft./lbs. Nothing too crazy.
South Bend towing clutch or equivalent when the OEM clutch finally wears out.

It's a strong, dependable truck, but my dad's new F350 with the 6.7 towing 10000 lbs would probably out-accelerate mine empty.

I’ve got a Gear Vendors OD. It’s awesome but it won’t give you twelve gears.
You have to be going almost 20 mph to use it, so it’s oil pump is operating.
You only use it with the upper gears.
I have 4.10 gears and the GV drops my 60 MPH cruise from 2000 RPM down to 1500.
It makes 4.10 effectively 3.20.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.