cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel for there TC? How long have you had it? What TC do you have? What’s are some of the must haves to keep it chugging along happily with TC on top?

Cheers
112 REPLIES 112

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
What is HP on 1997 Powerstroke? I remember that as non-turbo version with mechanical IP?
1 more thing I forgot- common on those models was clog on fuel tank strainers.
Somehow the plastic strainers were catching shellacs or whatever, who barely visible to bare eye would clog the fine strainer.
Had to do on both of my trucks and it is not fun on freeway shoulder.

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke with 5 speedstandard shift. Bought it brand new with the camper package specially for hauling my 9.5 ft. 1993 Sunline. Both are in excellent shape as they are garage kept when not traveling. Truck has 147,000 miles on it and has only been used for camping.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2000 F350 7.3. 160,000 miles. Replaced a few hoses. Always service trans and coolant every 50K. Oil changes (whatever Costco has on sale) every 5K. New fuel filter and clean the air filter every 10K. It just keeps on chugging. I keep in on a trickle charge to keep the batteries up. If I had to put $5,000 into it, it would still be worth it.
While the mileage doesn't match up to my Prius, it is still relatively good. 13mpg towing my 10K 5th wheel and 16mpg+ during routine daily driving (more on highway only, of course). I'll see if one of my grand sons wants it when I decide driving it is a chore. Then they can throw all that high horsepower **** on it while having fun with it.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
New technology will always come with baby teeth, but just from my experience.
3 years ago new DPF was $3000, while cleaning shops were rare and DIY cleaners not available. Also lack of driver education, when aborted regenerations create cascade of troubles.
Now aftermarket DPF cost $600, you can buy monitoring scanner for $49, plenty of DPF shops around and DIY cleaners are not needed, when you monitor the system work and accordingly.
The 230-250 HP 7.3l is slow and gas guzzler comparing to "not so new" 6.7l.
I can only wonder what newer diesel will bring.
My huge Sprinter van delivers 22 mpg, when the engine introduced 4 years ago in Europe delivers even more, with more HP.
Can we expect 25 mpg from new Powerstroke?
Bottom line, I am not looking back to 7.3l and I am not picky about pollution.

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are equally good for what they are and what they do but they aren't the same or even in the same category of functionality. Maneuverability, reduced noise and fuel mileage are great assets of the Sprinter but that is about it in comparison to a heavy duty pickup truck. An F350 (regardless of year) gives you the option to move 6 people in comfort and safety. It also allows you to carry a 5000lb camper and tow a trailer carrying all the toys. You can drop everything at camp and drive to town or go exploring in just the truck if you wanted. You can use the truck at home to haul stuff when needed or even daily driver it if you wanted. You can haul a 5th wheel when the family of six declares the camper is to small to camp in. Don't get me wrong, the Sprinters are fantastic rigs for what they do and I would strongly consider one if it was just the wife and I touring the country but that is a completely different life than I have right now.

In regards to the speed of the 7.3 (or the lack as you suggest) that is easily addressed with a few upgrades. Granted I probably have ~$12k in performance upgrades under the hood but really a simple 6 position tuner chip will unlock a lot of potential for a few hundred dollars. Not having driven the 6.7 myself, I can't say for certain if I will outrun one but I am confident that I would give it a run for it's money. It is easily the fastest vehicle I have driven.

The thing about the 7.3 is that while it isn't perfect, the foundation is there to give you years of trouble free miles and potential for significant power upgrades if that is your thing. All without the complications of having the EPA shove an emissions system that when it fails is too expensive to replace.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Thank you for your 2cents that no one asked for Keyteg :R

Are you OP ?
Having double handles is against forum rules.

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
I hate the picture capabilities of this site.
Here is mine:

Dang!! Which model is that TC and what’s your camping weight?

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
I should have typed that out better but yes the 99-03 7.3 powestroke! I have a been keeping my eye on a couple locally (northern Alberta) I think these trucks are starting to turn around in price if they’ve been Well kept! This truck is gunna be a dedicated tow pig as my daily is a f150. I love the older diesels as many have mentioned before the simplicity is great and parts are cheap compared to new.

Don’t get me wrong I love the new ones but it’s not in the cards and I’d rather be able to get out there camping with and dogs this year! Of course with a minijet boat in tow lol

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:

Me too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Here is mine:
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
2000 F350, 7.3 PSD, 4R100, 224K, CC, LB, DRW.

All Original; 12,000 Warn Winch/CG.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
New technology will always come with baby teeth, but just from my experience.
3 years ago new DPF was $3000, while cleaning shops were rare and DIY cleaners not available. Also lack of driver education, when aborted regenerations create cascade of troubles.
Now aftermarket DPF cost $600, you can buy monitoring scanner for $49, plenty of DPF shops around and DIY cleaners are not needed, when you monitor the system work and accordingly.
The 230-250 HP 7.3l is slow and gas guzzler comparing to "not so new" 6.7l.
I can only wonder what newer diesel will bring.
My huge Sprinter van delivers 22 mpg, when the engine introduced 4 years ago in Europe delivers even more, with more HP.
Can we expect 25 mpg from new Powerstroke?
Bottom line, I am not looking back to 7.3l and I am not picky about pollution.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
When 7.3l was used by Ford on several occasions, I believe OP is taking about 7.3 Powerstrokes, who went in production in 1999 and last for about 4 years.
I had 2 of them and when they have bulletproof block, I had days when I turned ignition in the morning with a thought "what light will show today"
Early CPS were very bad, oil cooler leaks, ATF cooler inside radiator, turbo pedestal orings, maze of sensors who can fail at any time.
Never have been stranded with them thought, although leaving oil trail with leaky oil cooler can get scary.
Not engine-related, but wheel sensors and ABS sensor on rear differential. Sold both truck with over 300k miles on each.
I remember Adamis had to drive like 2000 miles on 7 cylinders when his injector failed.

You're like a big bowl of Christmas cheer with this post...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I often tell my wife, she can burry in my 2001 Jetta TDI (345k miles and still going strong) that parked in the bed of my 1999 7.3. The newer Diesel engines have more power / performance but they are very complicated and very expensive and the emissions when they go will cost you a fortune.

I think the 7.3 is the pinnacle of Ford diesel performance pre EPA strangling the industry. They will be very much like Muscle cars pre 1976 before the EPA strangled those as well. I also think they will be show trucks and collector trucks in a decade or two. To be honest, I think Diesel pickup trucks are on a limited lifespan. EPA regulations and the complexity / cost plus the industry moving to electric means 2021 diesel trucks will be possibly the last generation or at least the second to last generation. I see hybrid trucks with small 4 cylinder turbo'd engines and 4 wheel electric motors with midsize battery packs being the future.

That being said... I've probably gone down the path of mods on my truck further than most (though not all). To list the things my truck has...

1. Alliant AC Single Shot Injectors
2. KC300X Turbo
3. Hyradtuner
4. Upgraded Bellowed Up-pipes
5. Banks Torque Converter
6. Banks Exhuast Brake
7. Banks 3.5" Exhaust minus the CAT
8. Upgraded T500 HPOP
9. 6.0 Tranny Cooler
10. Airbags
11. Upgraded Alternator
12. Upgraded S&B Intake
13. Torqlift Tie Downs
14. Torqlift Super Truss
15. Gooseneck Hitch
16. Amsoil 2 Stage Bypass Oil Filter System
15. Inline Tranny Oil Filter
16. Patridge and Pear Tree...

Truck runs fantastic now and pulls hard and fast unloaded. Towing camper plus cargo trailer (~9000lbs) on 6% grade is no problem. EGTs have dropped at least 200 deg if not 300 deg for same load. Making now 30+ lbs of boost versus 20lbs previously. I only have two future planned upgrades in mind, a Mishimoto Intercooler and 4" exhaust to drop EGTs further.

In short, if you get ahold of a clean 7.3 in good condition, I am convinced it will be a highly sought after classic if it isn't already.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper