cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wierd Marks Appearing On Tires

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
These vertical marks around the tire circumfrence stared to appear on the rear tires of my 2012 silverado 3500 SRW. I recently rotated my tires and front tires did not have these marks. Since rotating, the marks have started to appear after approx 3000 miles. I tow occationally a ~11k lb. fiver. I've towed several times since rotating.

The tires are Cooper Discoverer X/T4 with approximately 35000 miles.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8L5vgwE

Any thoughts on what these indicate would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PW
2012 Silverado 3500 Diesel SRW
2013 Bighorn 3010RE
28 REPLIES 28

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is an over inflation indicator. With over inflation you can wear out the center line while still showing good thread remaining elsewhere. I bet if a gauge is used, the thread depth at the center will be small compared to the thread depth as you move outwards.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Those marks are Canadian for they will s uck in the snow.

Yes they will, time for new shoes regardless.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bedlam
It looks like the split in the mold when the tire is formed but does not make sense that it only shows once the tire is worn down. Like others have posted, I would be looking under the rear wheel wells for protrusions that may make contact with the tire only during extreme wheel travel.

Since it is only happening on the rear tire positions, I have a hard time believing it is the tire mold. On the other hand, the rear may be wearing faster which shows this manufacturing detail sooner than the front.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Those marks are Canadian for they will s uck in the snow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
PointyWombat wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
I don't any thing but a the tire wearing more in the middle than the edges. Prolly from over inflation.

Inflated to 80 PSI as per spec.

Thanks.
PSI should be set for the weight carried and max if you don't have the weight information.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
PointyWombat wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
I think it might be a replacement indicator. With all of the sipping not sure but look like a winter or true 4 season tire. Winter tires and true 4 season tires with the mountain snowflake have a second set of wear indicators to show when there is not enough tread left to be safe in winter conditions.

If you have the severe winter mountain snowflake on these tires I am pretty sure that is what this vertical line is.

Yes, they are all season tires but have the winter mountain snowflake. i've not seen a wear indicaor like that before..

Thanks.

It's to tell you when they no longer meet snow-tire performance specs, even though they are legal for non-snow conditions.

BTW - check your door placard. 80 psi is too high from the front tires if you're running that psi all the way around.

That is correct. 60 PSI on the front, 80 PSI at the rear.

Cheers!
2013 Bighorn 3010RE

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
PointyWombat wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
I think it might be a replacement indicator. With all of the sipping not sure but look like a winter or true 4 season tire. Winter tires and true 4 season tires with the mountain snowflake have a second set of wear indicators to show when there is not enough tread left to be safe in winter conditions.

If you have the severe winter mountain snowflake on these tires I am pretty sure that is what this vertical line is.

Yes, they are all season tires but have the winter mountain snowflake. i've not seen a wear indicaor like that before..

Thanks.

It's to tell you when they no longer meet snow-tire performance specs, even though they are legal for non-snow conditions.

BTW - check your door placard. 80 psi is too high from the front tires if you're running that psi all the way around.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
Oh I just now saw youโ€™re in Canada. There may be a different phone and email for you.

I was on the .com address, I think Cooper in Canada has a .ca address.

EDIT:: Itโ€™s the same contact info Cooper Canada

Looks like they have a 65,000 mile / 105,000 km warranty? Maybe youโ€™ll get a little adjustment in price? Wonโ€™t hurt to ask.

OK Thanks. I've sent in the picture to Cooper. Curious if/what they come back with. Either way, I'll get the shop where I purchased them to take a look. I happen to be out on the last camping trip for the year before I winterize.

Cheers!
2013 Bighorn 3010RE

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I just now saw youโ€™re in Canada. There may be a different phone and email for you.

I was on the .com address, I think Cooper in Canada has a .ca address.

EDIT:: Itโ€™s the same contact info Cooper Canada

Looks like they have a 65,000 mile / 105,000 km warranty? Maybe youโ€™ll get a little adjustment in price? Wonโ€™t hurt to ask.

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
They look pretty well worn down. Iโ€™d measure the thread depth, I have a tire thread depth checker. Or you can take it to a reputable tire shop and have them measure it.

Another photo from a 45-ish degree angle would show a better view of the remaining thread depth.

Or you can call Cooper Tire at 800 854 6288, or email the pic to cooperinfo@coopertire.com and see what they have to say.

However I think itโ€™s definitely time to replace them. Good luck to you.

They have 1/8th inch tread remaining.
I will email the picture to Cooper to see what they say, but I suspect that will take a while. I'll also stop into a tire shop for an opinion.

Cheers,
PW
2013 Bighorn 3010RE

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
They look pretty well worn down. Iโ€™d measure the thread depth, I have a tire thread depth checker. Or you can take it to a reputable tire shop and have them measure it.

Another photo from a 45-ish degree angle would show a better view of the remaining thread depth.

Or you can call Cooper Tire at 800 854 6288, or email the pic to cooperinfo@coopertire.com and see what they have to say.

However I think itโ€™s definitely time to replace them. Good luck to you.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
PointyWombat wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:

Thanks.

Were they load forced balanced? Is the line in the same position on both tires. It does not appear to be centered.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:

Thanks.
2013 Bighorn 3010RE

PointyWombat
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I don't any thing but a the tire wearing more in the middle than the edges. Prolly from over inflation.

Inflated to 80 PSI as per spec.

Thanks.
2013 Bighorn 3010RE