cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my tank freeze?

EricG1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Fleetwood Mallard 20' travel trailer. My fresh water tank is about 80% exposed with 20% inside the floor with a heat duct running next to it. I will be using it in mid November in Northern Michigan. I would say the coldest it would get would be in the teens at night. Do you guys think it will freeze? If I was to enclose the exposed portion of the tank with Tuff-R insulation do you think that would prevent freezing? Thank you for any information.
4 REPLIES 4

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple answer to your tanks freezing, YES

I've done deer camp in North Dakota.

First thing to freeze, will be the dump valve.

I have the electric heat pads, with enclosed underbelly and heat duct into the tank area. My warm holding tanks are useless when I can't dump.

What I have done, when hitting the road, I put disposable pocket warmers inside the dump cap. When I get back to town, the dump valve is usually thawed enough to dump.

For traps and water lines, I leave cabinet doors open, to allow heat to get under sinks, etc.

Another thing you might consider: put a gallon (or two) of RV antifreeze in black and grey tanks.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the tank may not freeze but I,d bet the lines will. and the traps.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
The part of the tank in the floor will be the empty part as you use water. Never know about MI during Deer Season as some time snow and cold and sometimes in the high 40's. I think I would winterize and use 5 gallon water jugs to be safe. Mallards were never built for more than summer vacation type use. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Will your furnace be running 24/7 while the temp is in the mid teens?
Also 80% exposed with only a heat duct running nearby. Doesn't sound good to me.

There are tank heater pads that you can attach to your tank, but I believe they require AC power.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro