cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this generator do the trick?

Cummins07
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generac-5792-iX1600-1-600-Watt-Portable-Gas-Powered-Inverter-Generator/158...

I came across one of these generators for sale on craigslist new in the box for $350. A friend of mine uses one of the Honda 2000's for camping and obliviously it works great, but im not prepared to drop that kind of money on something that will get minimal use. So will something like this work for what I need or do you think its just a cheap piece of junk and I shouldn't waste the money? Don't run a lot in the camper but it would be nice for a coffee maker and smaller appliances and not to have to worry about lights being on.

thanks for any info
18 REPLIES 18

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you would need to listen to it, and decide if it is right for you.

Yes it is just powerful enough to run a coffee maker, however normally when you first plug in the RV in the morning, it will be quickly recharging the battery, and might be using 4 amps at 120 volts. So charging the battery quickly and running the coffee maker might be a problem.

If that becomes a problem, let the charger run about 10 minutes before running the microwave, toaster or coffee maker, and the charger will be using less amperage after 10 minutes.

So listen to it. Remember that it is inverter type of generator, as as such will run slower when not generating a lot of power, but will speed up when something like a 1,500 watt heater is plugged in, and it is under full load. You could take a portable heater with you so that you can hear the generator under load. Make sure that you try the heater on low output before turning to high output, so that the generator has time to open the throttle and get ready for the 1,500 watt load.

For watching TV, I would recommend a portable 300 - 500 watt 12 to 120 inverter. It is silent, and does not use any gas. Then in the morning, charge with the generator or install a 200 watt solar system, and recharge with that.

SunELec.com has some great prices on solar panels. Make sure that you select panels with a frame, so you can attach it to brackets and the roof.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Cummins07
Explorer
Explorer
Well considering I didn't ask for other ways to make coffee I don't really need answers on that, merely asking if anyone has experience with this particular generator

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Qill it work? Sure. The question really is....... HOW LOUD IS THAT DARN THING?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget watching tv, which an amazing amount of campers do with their generators. You wouldn't ever worry about the lights being on if you had LEDs.

Generacs have not been know for their quietness in MHs, perhaps this one will be ok. I wonder how many will post about other ways to make coffee.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman