cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts after one week living in the Oliver

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my update on the Oliver after living in it the first week.

http://wincrasher.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-good-bad-and-ugly-thoughts-on.html
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans
10 REPLIES 10

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wincrasher65 wrote:
I did a black tank flush this evening.

The nice thing about the SeeLevel gauge is you can set it to stay on for 5 minutes. So I could watch the tank fill while the hose was connected to the flush connector.

I drained the tank, and then I filled it to 80% via the black tank flush and then opened the drain valve. What a difference! There was still alot of yuk in the tank and drain pipe after I dumped.

It's up to you but, I don't feel that it is necessary to get the black tank that clean.

I'm just a weekend camper with a old TT. I'm lucky that my bathroom sink dumps into the high side of my black tank.

After a weekend camping trip all I ever do is to drain the black thank and then I dump a bucket of clean water in the bathroom sink. If no one is waiting in line at the dump station behind me I will dump another bucket of clean water down the toilet while holding the flush valve open.

Then I drain the gray tank and flush it with a little clean water.

Then I go home.

After I get home I add about a gallon , or so, of water to each tank to keep the rubber seals on the drain valves moist until I'm ready to go out the next weekend.

To each his own but, this has worked well for me.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
I did a black tank flush this evening.

The nice thing about the SeeLevel gauge is you can set it to stay on for 5 minutes. So I could watch the tank fill while the hose was connected to the flush connector.

I drained the tank, and then I filled it to 80% via the black tank flush and then opened the drain valve. What a difference! There was still alot of yuk in the tank and drain pipe after I dumped.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
wincrasher65 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Thanks for the update. It is weird that they did not label the breakers of fuses. That was probably a oversight on there part.

I , personally , would not like the long tube between the toilet and the black tank. That sounds like a place for a clog. I would be most worried about that.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The black tank is directly below the toilet. The drain pipe runs from the tank about 2 feet to the valve, and then about 15 feet to the discharge port in the bumper of the trailer. It is a large diameter pipe - either 3 or 4 inches. I'm not worried it would clog, but it could leave some stinky debris in that long run if you don't flush properly.

I see. If your not able to use the built in flush a 3-4 gallon (15L) bucket of water dumped quickly down the toilet might do the trick in a pinch.

Probably. Or you can do it the old fashioned way by holding down the foot lever on the toilet and fill the tank/pipe that way.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
What is the weight and length of the Oliver? My brother may be looking into buying a small light TT that he can tow with his Toyota Highlander.

on edit - after watching your YouTube video, I can't imagine the Oliver is a light weight trailer...

It's not. If you listen to my review, I mention it's 5200 lbs with a 7000 GVWR chassis.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
What is the weight and length of the Oliver? My brother may be looking into buying a small light TT that he can tow with his Toyota Highlander.

on edit - after watching your YouTube video, I can't imagine the Oliver is a light weight trailer...
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Re the wet bath...we had that in our boat and didn't mind it at all. Shower curtain went all the way around, so the large vanity area stayed dry. There was a good size window in the bathroom, to I could leave that open and still have privacy with the shower curtain. You're right, you can shower and clean at the same time.

Re your outlets in the kitchen area....do you have a space where you could run a power strip - think they have maybe a 12" - 18" cord - attach it to the wall and hopefully keep the toaster or coffee maker cords out of the heat.

Even with a few glitches, which all RVs seem to have, I like the Oliver. Nice!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wincrasher65 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Thanks for the update. It is weird that they did not label the breakers of fuses. That was probably a oversight on there part.

I , personally , would not like the long tube between the toilet and the black tank. That sounds like a place for a clog. I would be most worried about that.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The black tank is directly below the toilet. The drain pipe runs from the tank about 2 feet to the valve, and then about 15 feet to the discharge port in the bumper of the trailer. It is a large diameter pipe - either 3 or 4 inches. I'm not worried it would clog, but it could leave some stinky debris in that long run if you don't flush properly.

I see. If your not able to use the built in flush a 3-4 gallon (15L) bucket of water dumped quickly down the toilet might do the trick in a pinch.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Re the USB in the kitchen: any way to create a little shelf near that port?

On the towel hook outside the bathroom, I'd suggest testing the location with a suction-based hook before attaching more of their jewelry quality stuff.

For power in the kitchen, that's a very typical setup. I'd get a short (but large gauge) extension cord and put something like a 3M command hook on the wall to help route it down to counter level and away from hot items.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II