cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this generator do the trick?

Cummins07
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generac-5792-iX1600-1-600-Watt-Portable-Gas-Powered-Inverter-Generator/158...

I came across one of these generators for sale on craigslist new in the box for $350. A friend of mine uses one of the Honda 2000's for camping and obliviously it works great, but im not prepared to drop that kind of money on something that will get minimal use. So will something like this work for what I need or do you think its just a cheap piece of junk and I shouldn't waste the money? Don't run a lot in the camper but it would be nice for a coffee maker and smaller appliances and not to have to worry about lights being on.

thanks for any info
18 REPLIES 18

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
Watched a demonstration video on the Generac as compared to others of this type. They are loud.

Did you notice in the add, they don't mention dBA ratings.

You would be far ahead with this one. They are very dependable, parts are easy to get & customer service is great.

I have been looking at these. watched a few you tube videos on them and they are pretty quite. Also stackable. Have not pulled the trigger yet but when the right buy come up on craigslist I'm in.

But are they quiet?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Watched a demonstration video on the Generac as compared to others of this type. They are loud.

You would be far ahead with this one. They are very dependable, parts are easy to get & customer service is great.

CHAMPION INVERTER GENERATOR $375 Free Shipping ( REFURB ) or $599 NEW

I have been looking at these. watched a few you tube videos on them and they are pretty quite. Also stackable. Have not pulled the trigger yet but when the right buy come up on craigslist I'm in.

Bedlam
If I'm not mistaken, the HF generator you linked uses a GY6 top end popular in Chinese scooters and originally based off a Honda design. These engines are very reliable and very serviceable with parts available everywhere online. They are not as quiet as the Honda generator, but should be just as reliable.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this unit a week ago for $499: http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-peak2200-running-watts-47-hp-125cc-portable-inverter-generator-61171.html

So far I've been breaking it in 45min a day and have run it with the camper shore plug hooked in. I cycle the microwave on. I did hit the over load when I had the big home Kirby vacuum, shore power plugged in, then hit the microwave on. It kicked off after 20 seconds of microwave.

Still seems to be a decent deal.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
look at the powerhouse for a really good price.the 2000 watt even has remote electric start at 60 db at full tilt at 23 ft.i have a 5oo watt that i use to charge my trolling motor batteries.it even comes with the charging clips and mine weighs about 20 lbs.i'm pretty sure you can get the generac at lowes.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah -- but will it run two AC units, a coffee maker, and the micro-wave at the same time, while charging batteries and heating water for a shower ... and use only one pint of fuel in a entire day of running, while no neighbors can hear it ...

There, did it. Combined all the answers into one, so the OP has it. Now, can we skip directly to answering his actual question. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:

X2 - IMO the Champion 73531 200w portable inverter generator is so much better than the Generac 5792iX 1600. It is a very dependable and super quiet generator. I've looked at and have heard both of these run and found the Champion to be the quietest. Mine is the step above the one shown here and has a noise level of 53dBA at 23 feet. For what the OP is going to use his, I would opt for this one.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
, tell him to do coffee your way instead of advice on the generator, might as well tell him not to get a camper, then he won't need a generator.
LOL.. it never fails.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
We love the French Press. just trying to be helpful. Excuse me!

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
You should get a French Press for your coffee. Boil the water using propane stovetop and pour in. Great coffee and no electricity (just a thought).

Typical answer, tell him to do coffee your way instead of advice on the generator, might as well tell him not to get a camper, then he won't need a generator.

That generator should make coffee, but it will be louder than inverter type.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Champion sells a generator that I understand is quiet like the Honda and for about half the price. One of the posters on this site uses one and is very satisfied with it. We found a like new Honda 2000 last summer for the same low price. It works great and we too couldn't afford the $999 price tag on a brand new one. EBay maybe. Guy bought ours, fired it up once then friends scared him into buying a 3000 telling him it was too small for his camper. Maybe it was. Anyway we benefited greatly. I'd rather spend a bit more on something you know will work than go for cheap and have something that ends up being junk.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
You should get a French Press for your coffee. Boil the water using propane stovetop and pour in. Great coffee and no electricity (just a thought).

Cummins07
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC thanks for the useful post, guess I will have to go hear it for myself and taking something along to plug into it is a good idea.