cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wiring for 1988 coleman pop up

Saunts
Explorer
Explorer
I have just installed a 12 volt deepcycle battery on my camper. In addition I installed a 12 volt power outlet. I wired that with 12 ga. wire directly to the battery. I want
the 12 volt camper lights to work from the new battery also.
what color wires in the trailer harness do I need to connect
to the battery to accomplish this?

The camper also has a power converter. If I plug in to
shore power will it do that ? What wires do I need to
connect to the battery to make this possible ?
4 REPLIES 4

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
The converter should have a wire to connect a battery. You may have to search for a manual to find the wire color, or post the make and model and someone here might know. I would recommend 10ga wire to connect the battery to the converter with an inline fuse close to the battery. Connect the battery ground to the trailer frame 10ga as well.

In your other thread you you mentioned your tow harness is a four-pin. There is no connection from the battery to the tow vehicle with a 4-pin. The 4-pin harness powers only the brake/turn/running lights.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

azemptynesters
Explorer
Explorer
Saunts,

If your 1988 Coleman is the same as our 1986 was, there was never a provision for mounting a battery. However, our camper came with a 12V extension cord that plugged into the cigarette lighter on the tow vehicle on one end and a two pin connector on the other. The two pin connector was tied up with the trailer wiring harness but not part of the harness that plugs into the vehicle. It should have one black and one white wire running from the connector into the trailer. What we ended up doing was mounting a battery on the tongue and then connecting the battery to this two prong connector. As BigBaron mentioned, don't forget an inline fuse. I also read in another thread where you are asking about charging the battery through shore power. Our camper had the original converter and was not able to charge the battery when connected to shore power. It had a switch on it that allowed you to select 12V/Off/120V. If your converter is original, the only way to charge the battery would be to take a battery charger and connect it through normal methods. If you have any problems locating the wires, send me a PM and I'll email you the pages from the owner's manual.

Dan
1986 Coleman Williamsburg (given to our son and his family)
2009 Fleetwood Niagara
1997 Toyota 4 Runner

BigBaron
Explorer
Explorer
Usually on trailers the large white wire (10 ga.) is the ground, and the large black wire (10 ga.) is the main power.
You NEED TO put an in-line fuse between the battery/main hot lead and the power outlet, and between the battery/main hot lead and the interior lights. My guess for fuses would be 5 amps for the power outlet, and 10 for the interior lights.

Solder and shrink-wrap the connections you make. Those clip-on connectors are worthless for high amperage connections.

You DON'T want this... (This is brand-new from the factory!)

Baron, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith and OSD, Fang
'03 Hyundai Starex(H1) 2012 Coachmen Clipper Sport 126
Incheon, S. Korea
From six months of no camping to having a winter site 30 minutes from a ski resort! I'm a happy camper!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might find some manual and other info on your Coleman trailer at POPUPPORTAL.com

POPUPPORTAL MANUALS
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS