cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring refrigerator to batteries

jtdl
Explorer
Explorer
We are replacing an electric refrigerator with a propane one in a trailer we are restoring. We are putting this trailer on a leased site with no hydro - solar panels and batteries. Anyone know how to hook up the propane refrigerator - this one has a LED screen so has to be hooked up to battery in order to light.
23 REPLIES 23

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jtdl wrote:
westend wrote:
At the stage you're at, it's probably a good idea to install a 12V distribution panel. The power for the fridge can be lead off that, as will lights, water pump, fans, water heater, and any other 12V devices you choose to use. With a distribution panel, the circuit from 12V battery power to the fridge will be fused and protected.

Will definitely look into this. Sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

You're welcome. A quality distro panel (Blue Sea is one brand) would probably be under $30 and will definitely ease any 12V branch wiring.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jtdl
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
At the stage you're at, it's probably a good idea to install a 12V distribution panel. The power for the fridge can be lead off that, as will lights, water pump, fans, water heater, and any other 12V devices you choose to use. With a distribution panel, the circuit from 12V battery power to the fridge will be fused and protected.

Will definitely look into this. Sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps his rebuilding skills are better than his google skills.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jtdl
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jtdl wrote:
Yes it will be run on LP as well. Just needs the DC to light because it has an LED screen (is how I was explained the situation).

SoundGuy wrote:
Presumably you understand that installing a gas absorption fridge has specific requirements that a conventional compressor fridge does not - details are in that installation manual linked to earlier.

The LED screen is beside the point - the N641 is a DSI fridge so it needs 12 vdc to run the main circuit board, spark the ignitor, and operate the gas solenoid ... without 12 vdc it's just not going to work at all, even when forced to the gas mode.

jtdl wrote:
I guess my husband just didn't get as technical with me. My question was how to hook it up to the battery so that it will run with battery power and propane. I don't know where you are getting the idea we are trying to get away from using 12 volt, but anyway I got the answer we needed with the links to the manual. We have had trailers for many years, just have not installed a new refrigerator or have had to depend on total solar/12 volt power.

Unfortunately, properly installing any gas absorption fridge is quite technical and is not as simple as sliding a compressor fridge into position and plugging it in. The fact you've come here to the forums to ask such a simple question about how to feed it 12 vdc because the fridge "needs the DC to light because it has an LED screen" raises alarm bells as to whether you understand just how important it is to install such a fridge properly so it not only functions as intended but also doesn't subsequently kill you by venting CO inside the camper, either / both of which can easily occur if you don't understand & follow those installation instructions which are clearly detailed in the aforementioned installation manual that is available to anyone to download ... including yourself. :R

Good luck with this project - sounds like you're gonna need it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually my husband has rebuilt 3/4's of this trailer from the frame up and his last project is the fridge. I misinterpreted what he was asking me to google and posted what I thought he meant in regards to hooking up the fridge, but this information was found in the manual that a couple of HELPFULpeople on this forum posted and I HAVE DOWNLOADED.

But in regards to your concern: yes, he has cut a hole in the side and in the roof for venting the refrigerator, in case you didn't understand from my first 5 posts, this was a park model with an electric fridge so yes, he had to install vents for the propane fridge. As I posted 11 posts back - I got someone's helpful link to the manual, downloaded the manual after that post, thanked that person and we will be sure to install it properly. Thanks for your concern :R

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jtdl wrote:
Yes it will be run on LP as well. Just needs the DC to light because it has an LED screen (is how I was explained the situation).

SoundGuy wrote:
Presumably you understand that installing a gas absorption fridge has specific requirements that a conventional compressor fridge does not - details are in that installation manual linked to earlier.

The LED screen is beside the point - the N641 is a DSI fridge so it needs 12 vdc to run the main circuit board, spark the ignitor, and operate the gas solenoid ... without 12 vdc it's just not going to work at all, even when forced to the gas mode.

jtdl wrote:
I guess my husband just didn't get as technical with me. My question was how to hook it up to the battery so that it will run with battery power and propane. I don't know where you are getting the idea we are trying to get away from using 12 volt, but anyway I got the answer we needed with the links to the manual. We have had trailers for many years, just have not installed a new refrigerator or have had to depend on total solar/12 volt power.

Unfortunately, properly installing any gas absorption fridge is quite technical and is not as simple as sliding a compressor fridge into position and plugging it in. The fact you've come here to the forums to ask such a simple question about how to feed it 12 vdc because the fridge "needs the DC to light because it has an LED screen" raises alarm bells as to whether you understand just how important it is to install such a fridge properly so it not only functions as intended but also doesn't subsequently kill you by venting CO inside the camper, either / both of which can easily occur if you don't understand & follow those installation instructions which are clearly detailed in the aforementioned installation manual that is available to anyone to download ... including yourself. :R

Good luck with this project - sounds like you're gonna need it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Off your topic slightly!
Some of the remote set ups here are using the small wind mills to charge the system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jtdl
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jtdl wrote:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jtdl wrote:

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pull 12v wire to the fuse panel and connect same as the rest.

jtdl
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Are you going to run it on LP or just try to run on 12 volts DC. It will take several batteries and large wire (#6) to operate on 12 volts DC.
It would be wise to run on LP and 12 volt control. Control would take around a #14 wire .
Manual

Yes it will be run on LP as well. Just needs the DC to light because it has an LED screen (is how I was explained the situation). We already have one set up and running, just replacing the trailer and a newer fridge.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would add more panels and batteries and stay with a residential fridge. Or go for a unit with a Danfoss compressor.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jtdl wrote:
I will take a look at the manual and see if I can figure it out.

It took me all of seconds to download the Norcold N641 Installation Manual, read the wiring instructions on Page 9, and refer to the associated line drawing (Art00966) to understand what is required to power this fridge with 12 vdc.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the Installation Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter