cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word is out on L4 as standard full size pickup engine for GM

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reported in May 21st issue of Automotive News.
L4 with 310 HP will be standard engine in upcoming full size Chevy and GMC pickups. GM expects that the V8 will be the overwhelming choice however. The 4.3 V6 with it's lower hp and torque numbers will go away.
Puma 30RKSS
44 REPLIES 44

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Duty cycle big issue for me too, as I tend to keep vehicles till they rather old. Kind of like why I think Ford doesn’t put the eco boost V6 in F250, at least yet. The trucks I use at work are 2017 Ford 550’s with powerstrokes and Ram 5500’s with Cummins. We run them hard all day and night. Typically 7,000 to 9,000 miles we month per truck
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Oil can cause detonation issues especially with questionable ring seal but I would like to see what % of detonation issues it causes. My "guess" is less than 10% where fuel causes 90% of the issues.

Back in the day I refused to run oil with graphite in it because of detonation issues. Looking back I'm glad I didn't join in on the graphite trend because I had turbocharged engines back then and even with good pump fuel, detonation was an issue.

Just a side talk. One day I was pulling a mountain with my 6.5 diesel when it was well over a 100 degrees out. My WT was about 265. Everything was in the red. All of a sudden my engine sounded like it was pinging. Just like a gas engine does. I'm like what the???? Is this thing detonating??

I can't really find anything to this day if that is even possible. I think my engine got so hot the diesel fuel started to detonate in the combustion chamber. Only a guess though.

As far as the little 4 banger goes. I just hope they get the duty cycle up on it. They have the power; it's the duty cycle I'm worried about.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
DI mitigates detonation but does not prevent it.

They can't have the injection event after TDC because there is not enough time the inject the amount of fuel that is needed. (Not at this time anyway)

This is the reason manufactures recommend premium fuel when towing ect…..

There's a new API spec motor oil SN plus which reduces calcium to reduce LSPI in DI engines.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
DI mitigates detonation but does not prevent it.

They can't have the injection event after TDC because there is not enough time the inject the amount of fuel that is needed. (Not at this time anyway)

This is the reason manufactures recommend premium fuel when towing ect…..
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
hone eagle wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before they put particulate filters on these engines due to how much PM they produce.

They will add port injectors like Ford did before particulates filters are added.

While that reduces them at idle and under low load(especially in emission testing scenarios) it doesn't eliminate them once the DI kicks in at mid/high load. If the EPA testing gets more strict(just like it always does) to include these mid/high load scenarios then a PM filter will be needed eventually.

And they'll increase fuel pressure to improve atomization. I doubt we'll see a exhaust filter anytime soon.

Easier said than done for gasoline without running into detonation issues. Although it is the better atomasition of gasoline than diesel that makes finer particulate matter. Not saying it will come in the next five years or so and it will mainly depend on the political climate. It may happen in Eurpoe or Claifornia first.

Isn't that what DI prevents -detonation- because they can have the injection event after top dead centre?
after all these compression ratios are in the 10/1 range,well into detonation territory?

Your correct... As a matter of fact Yamaha just released the first DI outboard engine with fuel pressure at 2,900 psi. I don't know what the fuel pressure on this new L4 engine is, but I bet it's pretty high.

In addition I think the new Ecoboost engines can actually inject fuel from both DI and Port simultaneously or individually.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before they put particulate filters on these engines due to how much PM they produce.

They will add port injectors like Ford did before particulates filters are added.

While that reduces them at idle and under low load(especially in emission testing scenarios) it doesn't eliminate them once the DI kicks in at mid/high load. If the EPA testing gets more strict(just like it always does) to include these mid/high load scenarios then a PM filter will be needed eventually.

And they'll increase fuel pressure to improve atomization. I doubt we'll see a exhaust filter anytime soon.

Easier said than done for gasoline without running into detonation issues. Although it is the better atomasition of gasoline than diesel that makes finer particulate matter. Not saying it will come in the next five years or so and it will mainly depend on the political climate. It may happen in Eurpoe or Claifornia first.

Isn't that what DI prevents -detonation- because they can have the injection event after top dead centre?
after all these compression ratios are in the 10/1 range,well into detonation territory?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the attached link from Road & Track about the 2019 Chevy truck 4 cylinder turbo gas engine. Apparently the turbo 4 generates it's peak torque of 348 ft. lbs. from 1500-4000 rpm...pretty good in my view. The performance of 0-60 mph in less than 7 seconds is also impressive for a small displacement base engine, in a truck and the magazine says the turbo 4 cylinder puts out more hp/torque than the 2013 base V8 (4.8 liter) did.

I need to know the MPG , so hope there will some testing soon that reveals these figures.

I will admit that Ford got the ball rolling with small turbo truck engines..so plaudits to FoMoCo...and I'm happy to see this small engine engineering spreading. I find it fascinating and am waiting to find out all the minute engineering details that went into the design and final product of this 2.7 turbo 4.

I feel that engineers don't get the credit they deserve. Here they are, faced with what seemed to be unreasonable demands regarding MPG, power figures, ever tightening emission/environmental rules and regulations regarding the internal combustion engine and the ideas/development /final products they come up with are nothing short of astounding.

Hats off to engineers. Many of us don't realize how they make modern life..better...for the rest of us.

Chevy Turbo 4 cyl.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Not really any soot or particulate from a gasser. If you have particulate coming out the tailpipe, you have bigger problems since its probably metal! 🙂

Actually gasoline direct injected engines are notorious for producing very fine particulate mater. In fact in many cases it is worse due to how fine it is and is small enough to get in the blood stream. Just because you cannot see it like a diesel's soot does not mean there is none coming out.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
parker.rowe wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Not really any soot or particulate from a gasser. If you have particulate coming out the tailpipe, you have bigger problems since its probably metal! 🙂

Soot production is normal for a direct injected gas engine.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
It's amazing the HP they can get out of these small engines. Not only do they make a lot of power they seem to hold up, hope that's the case with the new GM 4 cylinder. These engines are producing the power of a small V-8 from just a few decades ago.

Or a large one, for that matter! A few DECADES ago big block trucks where hovering around 200 hp.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000