cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone, '16

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the planning stages right now. I've never been, a few coworkers have but they are hotel people. I am taking the TC and my family loves the outdoors, animals and hiking. We are thinking early June, kids out of school, snow hopefully mostly gone.....and not many in the park.

Need advice on where to go, stay and what is a must see. I have 3 kids, 11, 8, and 6 yr old boys and two dogs.

Plan to spend 7-9 days there. Advice?

We are open to moving the time frame (I can take vacation whenever) and we are buying a small farm in the spring so might need to adjust for that too.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
38 REPLIES 38

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been there twice both times with large trailers. Our favorite campground is Bridge Bay. Anything on the bottom loop is easy access for there. About 10 minutes north is a huge valley great for wildlife watching.

With the TC, you can stay up in Tower Fall allowing easy drive to anything in the north east corner. Restaurant in Theodore Roosevelt to give the DW a break from cooking.

Check for ages, but believe the boys are old enough to take a horse back ride in the area, if not do a chuck wagon event.

If the temps are decent, check on Firehole Canyon. The water is usually at the right temperature for swimming but depends on water flow if the rangers deem it safe. Not an official swimming area, but last time I was there they did allow it and plenty of parking.

Time wise, if you can go before the weekend prior to July 4. That is the weekend crowds really pick up. Weather is usually pretty nice but you could just as well see a little snow.

Both times we have been there, we've stayed 5 nights in the park and wish we had a few more. Next trip I should have 2 weeks, be in a TC, and can hardly wait.

Last piece of advice, check into the issues with having dogs. They will keep you off a lot of trails and make close up watching of wildlife a bit harder. Just leaving them in the camper may not be a good thing or allowed either.

Good luck and have fun.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We too found that 3 days was a good plan and including Glacier NP, if possible, also is a grand plan. We have lots of maps and reading stuff about the areas we visit to keep our Grandkids busy and interested. Also Cody, WY with the Buffalo Bill Museum was a great spot for an overnight.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
One tip about Old Faithful geyser, stand up wind, if you are down wind all you will see is the steam. We grew up in MT and have been to the park many times. We made the mistake of being down wind one time, was very disappointing. And as Bedlam said, if you can, go through Glacier National Park either on the way out or the way back, granted it may be out of you way, but even just driving through on the Going to the Sun Highway is worthwhile. And I think 9 days it is very doable. Neither park should take more than 3 days to see. Just do not be in a hurry and stop often.

One final note, bears are very populated in both areas so be wise and keep track of your surroundings. Bears will normally run away, but get between a sow and her cubs or accidentally corner a bear and you will have a fight on your hands.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

scottz
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is a huge park. If you stay at a single campground you will really limit how much you can see because you will constantly be backtracking. I recommend mapping a route through the park, staying at a different campground inside the park each night. Make sure you visit the Grand Tetons and spend a night in Jackson hole. Have a good time and enjoy.

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone was a blast for us. We stayed at Canyon Village. Everything to the south of us was bubbling hot water. Gotta see Old Faithful though. North was all the animals. Favorite spot was the Lamar Valley. Whatever you do, get out of your rig. Read somewhere that 90% of people never go more than 100 yards off the road. Lots of stuff to see with short 1/2 mile walks. Above Old Faithful is a ton of stuff to see. Geyser goes off and everyone leaves. Maybe 50 people walk around. Pm me and I will give you my number and we can talk
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc

Bedlam
I know there is gathering in Glacier National Park next August. Maybe you could visit both if you have the time.

http://forms.natcoa.net/MTRally2016.php

I'll be making a trip farther east...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
There's two KOA campgrounds near West Yellowstone. I stayed at the one closer to the town of West Yellowstone, which is a much nicer of the two. http://yellowstonekoa.com/

Warning though, the KOA isn't cheap during prime tourist season.

Reservations are surely required there, or any of the in-park campgrounds that offer reservations. I've heard that the non reservation campgrounds in the park fill up by 9am.

There's a few other campgrounds in the town of West Yellowstone, but I didn't investigate them when I was there in September.

West Yellowstone makes a nice base camp because when it comes time to restock on groceries, there's a few stores in town.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 3 nights in the park (hotel) and saw most everything. Then headed south for more. Stop everywhere, take your time, and don't look over the edge of the.......road. Oh yeah, and make sure your brakes are up to the trip, pads and new fluid.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

BigBlockFord
Explorer
Explorer
Planning something very similar, albeit with a bit less kid weight (6 & 3). May see you folks on the road. Subscribed for info!

BBF
1995 F350, 4x4, CC, 460, E4OD w/ Banks PowerPak & TransCommand, factory LS & F/R sway bars, 08+SD finned DC, 9000XL's, airbags
2011 AF990, 2-GRP 27's, 320W Solar, SS-Duo