cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your biggest truck camper mistake?

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out on the road in a couple of days, for our first long trip with our new to us truck camper (having previously owned and travelled extensively with a travel trailer).

What is/was your biggest truck camper mistake?

Hopefully, we can learn from other's mistakes. I'm feeling excited but a bit nervous about travelling with the truck camper as opposed to a travel trailer.

Thanks!
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
56 REPLIES 56

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Not the biggest mistake, but I was having trouble with the little front window coming out and, fortunately, falling inside, onto the step going up to the bed. Finally figure out this happened when I left the ceiling vent open. Must have created a lot of suction.

Also, I would get someplace and find one of the drawers had come open, and stuff all over the floor. A bungee cord through all 3 drawer pulls fixed that.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Riding on airbags only with my setup. I have more camper than truck when it comes to carrying that big white pig on the back. Plus I leveled the truck back up to where the overloads weren't doing work.
Just airing down enough to get the overloads in play helped a bunch.
Loaded for bear this year with a sway bar and overload blocks so I can keep the truck level.
Prolly put 5000mi or more on it in the original configuration. Got use to it and no harm no foul, but stable is better!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Driving on Michigan Avenue and the surrounding streets in Chicago...

Biggest mistake yet, lol!

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not adding solar panels sooner.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving on Michigan Avenue and the surrounding streets in Chicago...
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to unload the camper without swinging out the dually extension on the jacks......got luck only minor damage......as someone else said....make a list.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you take the magnetic mount for your cb antenna off roof before loading tc, I made that mistake, the whip was off mount so it was hard to see on roof but minor damage anyways Lou
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
As a new TC operator many years ago, I was driving across the bridge on Rt 50 west bound from Ocean City, MD , and saw in the right side RV mirror the slide-out not pulled in ! Now I ALWAYS do a walk around check before the departure. Satellite down, Slide-out in, tie-downs secure, interior stuff in place. I always check the tire pressure before a trip. A check list is helpful.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

orourkmw
Explorer
Explorer
On my first trip with my first camper, I overtightened the hold downs. I hit a hard bump in the road, and it pulled the anchor out of the camper. The hold downs are designed to be tightened to a certain tension, so that they can absorb impacts.

Good luck with your TC!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Knock on wood, I can't offer any been there done that big mistakes.....yet!, lol
Couple small ones.
Make sure you have adequate blocking across the front bottom to keep the camper off the front of the truck bed. The little rubber bumpers on the front of the camper may not hit in the right spot, or aren't adequate if the camper tries to slide fwd, in a lot of cases.
Did drive off with the slide extended before. No problems just dumb.
Remember you're 11-12' tall depending on your setup. No drivethrus, watch for low limbs etc.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
I feel better now,I thought I was the only one that do these things.I must be normal after all.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Realizing late in life I have a lot to be thankful for. That and most all of the above.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
On more than one occasion I've forgotten to bring in the slide-out. DW notices before I do.

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
Not accounting for swing out of the rear when turning. Turned to quickly coming out of a truck wash, and when pulling away from a gas pump, and nailed the rear corner both times. Forgetting to disconnect the umbilical cord when unloading, forgetting one takedown when raising camper. Putting gas in the diesel at a BP station. Not getting a 4 season rig. Not getting out enough.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Not ordering the one ton truck for $800 more.