cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
Garry, I hear you about jacking the camper on a windy day, especially the gales you get up there. With the interior gutted, mine was so light the wind really shook it on the stands. I leave it in the bed of the truck as much as possible. Have fun on your outing.

67 Im game for an Avionista meetup but things are too up in the air at the moment for me to commit to any time or place.

Muley Point is both a metaphorical and physical destination to me. In the metaphorical sense, I think I will be there soon. Meaning the camper should be completed to the point of usefulness in a week or two.
Muley Point, UT as part of the 'Grand Circle' has been my physical destination since the beginning. I've been past it dozens of times, camped Monument Valley, climbed Mexican Hat, but never knew it was there till reading about it on this forum. This camper was made for winter boondocking in the desert southwest.
That said, its looking less likely that I will make any westcoast Avionista rally this year. Just too much to put together a cross country trip on the heels of this huge project. Time, money, the usual. It didn't help that I used travel funds to buy a new LP furnace for the camper yesterday. If you're gonna race up the road to Muley Point, you gotta know when to hit the brakes!

Unless something changes, Florida is a more realistic goal for this year.
Rastaman, can you turn up the thermostat a bit? 43 isn't gonna cut it. Sounds like your getting it done, plumbing can be a real pain. BTW I have the original sink/faucet/shower from my C11 but the chrome isn't great. I put propane to the new range, works well enough, easier than my Wisperlite.
Ticki, Im not sure what those doors are all about. There were a few doors under the kitchen counter that were particle also. The others were ply but all veneers seemed to match? If no one wants them, Ill get rid of them. My buddy with the Ultra said he'd take the face frames.
1968 Avion C-11
1993 Dodge D250 LE Cummins

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Rastaman33609 wrote:
67Avion.....Muley Point is the vision that keeps me plugging along ๐Ÿ™‚

That's great.

Jane and I really enjoyed spending time with you and Susan at your country place in Florida. I don't want to reveal too much, but it would be a great meet-up site on the East Coast.

Avionistas probably get weary of my exhortations, but I think getting to know others on this forum - in person - is a terrific experience.

But, As always, On To Muley Point!

If you think so I am all for it.....we will certainly have a grand old time at the 'Lost bikers salon' (on the deck)....just dont plan it during summer when its hotter than you know what ๐Ÿ™‚
It would be great wouldn't?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rastaman33609 wrote:

That's great.

Jane and I really enjoyed spending time with you and Susan at your country place in Florida. I don't want to reveal too much, but it would be a great meet-up site on the East Coast.

Avionistas probably get weary of my exhortations, but I think getting to know others on this forum - in person - is a terrific experience.

But, As always, On To Muley Point!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
SilverPompadour wrote:
The goods

or maybe not so good

but I think this is the worst of them.

Those sure look different than mine , the hardware looks the same . The ones I have seen are birch veneer plywood with a 3/8" rabbeted edge . I'd like to see your new dinette configuration when you get to it . Coming right along now .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
rastaman33609 wrote:

Does anyone have a source for a bathroom sink faucet. I checked Vintage trailer, they didn't list the original. I guess I can use one single as I have eliminated the hot water line.

There are several here with shower diverters .

https://www.rvadenver.com/faucets.htm
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Silver....I am stewing in mixed emotions of inspiration and jealousy ๐Ÿ™‚

Does anyone have a source for a bathroom sink faucet. I checked Vintage trailer, they didn't list the original. I guess I can use one single as I have eliminated the hot water line.

Progress report: Inspired and shamed by Silvers speed, we made good progress yesterday.
Plumbing pressure tested. 2 of the copper lines in bath were busted..shower head valve leaks.

Built a couple of doors and started sanding some of the doors.completed the modified counter cabinet frame and installed and fitted the template counter top to make sure everything is ok

Installed the front jacks.
painted the ceiling.....not bad for a cold (43*) days work

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Silver, you are doing an awesome job.

Keep up the good work.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver Pompadour wrote:
Im itching to hit the road and if it doesn't happen in the next few weeks, it won't happen this year. Muley Point feels close within reach. Cant stop now.

Whoa right there. Someone on their way to Muley Point? Alright. So, its time for an Avionista meetup?

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Well Guys and Gals,
I finally got my Excursion out of the shop, so that means I can put the camper on the truck for the first time in over 6 months...

Additionally Saturday we had a break in the weather, This meant the rain and wind finally subsided long enough for a 1000lb load to the dump, and then loaded the truck before the next storm arrived Saturday night. 35-45 mph winds with gusts to 55 mph and more than an inch of rain overnight....

This is one reason, I have to plan ahead when I want to use the TC or when I need to use the Truck. I have no desire to crank up the Avion to the max extension on the Jacks to get it on and off with any wind. As it is, I have done it several times in the rain, and that is not fun either...

We plan on using the TC this weekend for a youth outing for church. We will be going to an old remote youth camp for a service project to fix up two of the remaining cabins, for possible later use this summer, then go use the woods on the mountain behind for a great paintball battle. then back to town.. About an hour out the road system. We don;t know yet if it will be clear/rain or snow or a mix of all three.... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Garry in Kodiak
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
The results of yesterdays polyurethane marathon are in. Yeah, I missed the big game. Hold on to your lunch Rastaman...

That wiring is only temporary. There will also be rigid foam surrounding the water tank.

Not my best woodwork. Not my worst. Im itching to hit the road and if it doesn't happen in the next few weeks, it won't happen this year. Muley Point feels close within reach. Cant stop now.

I posted a video walk through on Youtube that shows more of the bathroom partition and door. Finally found a use for the aluminum thimble patterns I'd been saving.
Interior Woodwork

Im not sure about the new color of the original range hood but the hammered paint hides the pitted rust. Lucky I took the switches out to paint it, look what the cover plate was hiding.

No big deal to rewire, even reused the original switches.

A keeper for sure

Steady with a bucking bar and mean with a poly brush. To top it off, she hasn't left me despite my addiction to these types of projects.

Queen extension.

The tape is butted against the skin under the window. 61" to the inside. 61 11/16" to the outside as the cherry is 11/16" thick. Maybe this is not a true queen because I did not account for the radiused corners. My plan is to radius a 2-3"thick queen size memory foam mattress topper on one side.

Distance from bulkhead skin.

The upright it just wedged in there for now. As of now, I have no real plan for the dinette, it was the lowest priority for me. It will be made of whats left of room and materials. If there are any specific measurements or pics you need, just let me know.

The former fridge access door is also in need of purpose. I would like to use it for some kind of vented furnace but that is not in the budget at the moment. Im too dirty for a Wave3 and wouldnt trust a Mr Buddy to run while I sleep.

Next up, lots of doors.
1968 Avion C-11

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
The goods

or maybe not so good

but I think this is the worst of them.
1968 Avion C-11

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
Ticki, its hard for me to answer that cause the dinette was in shambles when I took possession of the camper. Ill share pics and measurements tomorrow, in the middle of a polyurethane marathon right now. The cabinet door sure look original but I couldn't say for sure.
Rastaman, I went with the Attwood Wedgewood Vision. Had decent reviews on Amazon(bought on ebay) but I didn't research much beside the price.
1968 Avion C-11

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Silver ....you make me sick :),..looking at the work you are doing and the progress you are making I feel like I am going backwards.

Today I finally got my fresh water fill installed, and modified my counter frame as I have decided to eliminate the original stove and use a drop in stove top like yours, (btw which one did you go with, after reading some of the poor reviews about the quality of some of them, I am not sure which one to go with) The frame will now accept a door where the oven used to be. The colors have been decided on for the interior, so I am just waiting for some warm weather down here in Florida.

Tomorrow I will pressure test the plumbing, if all goes well I will start on revamping the 12 volt circuits.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Silver , couple of questions .

By extending the bed to queen size how did it affect the dinette seating ? A few more pics of the overhang would be nice . I have thought of making a fold up extension for that purpose .

Were the cabinet doors replaced at one time ? I have only seen or heard of plywood veneer doors , no particle board ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
cajunavion wrote:

Howdy!
I thought these campers were made for traveling
not just tinkering!

Im not sure, I'm gonna have to look into that... lol
There is more snow on those bikes than we have had here all winter!

Sunday morning update...
My shower drain setup left me an inch short of getting a Hepvo in there. The shower drain kit is actually for a bath tub and came with a nice stopper so I'm going to hope that works for now. If not Ill just construct a small trap from street elbows or something.
I would like to keep the interior lightweight and am using a mix of solid cherry and 1/4 birch ply. With all the rivets in here, I dont mind letting a few screw heads(all stainless) show if it saves me lots of time. Laziness, honestly.
I dropped the grey tank and gave the underside of the camper 3 coats of Rustoleum Aluminium(seemed fitting and was the cheapest color). While the roller was wet, I decided to try this color on the bustle. The roller gave a nice texture that hides many flaws and the color is good enough for this year.

The rear bustle trim has not been installed yet.

Probably should have thought of this before but I extended the overhang to Queen width. The cherry board has a dado to accept and stiffen the plywood extension.

The original sink and new range in a repurposed stainless table top.

New pegboard assembly. I might even drill a few holes in my new overhang extension to provide additional airflow.

Running the original overhung cabinets through the 'copying machine'.
The original face frames only needed a refinishing but wouldn't match the new interior. Some of the doors are done for but some could possibly be refinished but they are veneered particleboard.
Free to a good home. I would preffer not to have to ship them, especially the frames but realize its probably inevitable.
1968 Avion C-11